Endura 3 vs. Endura 4: Bevel Grind?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Macchina, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Macchina

Macchina

Apr 7, 2006
    Is the bevel on the Endura 3 a smaller angle than the bevel on the Endura 4? I just bought one (an Endura 3) off the for sale forum, and the blade looked much thinner ground than the Endura 4. I've owned two Endura 4's, and they seemed too obtuse to cut with. I wouldn't buy FRN handled knives without liners until I just picked up a Native, and now I know an FRN knife without liners is a great thing!

2. Vivi

Vivi Banned BANNED

Dec 4, 2005
    I don't know how they compare, but if you don't like the edge angle of the E4 might I recommend reprofiling flat to the stone? I did this to an Endura 3 and Byrd Cara Cara and both work really well slicing cardboard and whittling branches, things thin edges excel at. Just something to consider. Saber grinds are easy to do this way too.

3. Native Justice

Native Justice

Oct 23, 2005
    Better still, and easier, is to sharpen flat to the stone on the saber grind (back bevel, secondary bevel) much like you would a scandinavian grind knife. Takes much less time and produces an extremely fine grind. Strengthen it with a lite hone on the fine ceramics to produce a nice micro bevel. I did both on my D4 ZDP 189 and its a really fine cutter now.

NJ

4. LarryM

LarryM Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 20, 2000
    The grind is a lower angle on the Endura 3. Basically The hole size effects the height of the grind. The Endura 3 (.460) has a smaller opening hole than the Endura 4 (.500). Larry

5. Bungwrench

Bungwrench Banned by Moderators Banned

Dec 21, 2006
    Yeah, I think that the D3/E3 are better cutters. I wish they would have just put the D3/E3 blades in the D4/E4 handle. :(

6. Macchina

Macchina

Apr 7, 2006
    Do you not like the D3/E3 handles?