Endura 4 Value — How can this be?

In addition to the D'Allara Drop Point, the Endura 4 is on my list of possible next buys. I've never been a huge fan of the Endura, largely due to its resemblance to the Delica which I just can't stand (which dissapoints me becaue it's another great value). Although I like the blade design of the Endura 4 less than that of the Endura 3, I'm not sure I can pass it up. This new redesign seems like we're getting the quality of the military at the price of the Endura — even if the blade could use some work how can I turn it down? And where else can anyone buy a slim, lightweight, MBC-rated knife for what this guy costs?
This brings me to my point. How can spyderco get away with so many improvements on the Endura 4 with it only being a couple dollars more expensive? I can't imagine why anyone, even the great unwashed, wouldn't pay $2 more on every spyderco knife for these vast improvements. Likewise, how can spyderco get away with offering this knife that has the quality of the higher end knives without a proportional increase in price? My only thought is that, the Endura being one of their most popular knives, they can keep the price low due to volume.
Any thoughts?

- Chris

It also warrants mention that Spyderco, unlike most companies, is not out to suck our wallets dry. They're out to make money, don't get me wrong, they are a business, but they prefer to have repeat buyers over the long term, rather than one overpriced sale.

They might also have cut their profit margin slightly, in order to keep costs comparable. Lower profit and high sales volume is infinitely better than high profit margins and fewer sales.

Wish my boss would figure that out...

Sal Glesser

Hi Chris,

Thanx for the kind words, appreciate.

first I must say that the E4 is not "very heavy duty" rated, (MBC rated). It is well into the "heavy duty" rating.

Second, our margins are relatively fixed. We do not believe in "charging as much as the market will bear". We believe that type of "sales" is "biting the hand that feeds you".

We work very closely with our makers to achieve the best possible product at the lowest possible price. quality being more important than price. We do make a fair margin, which a busines must do, but we feel the long term business is more valuable.

The same "attitude" is also evident in the byrd line. Especially when compared with other knives made in China.

sal

--------------------------------------------------------

The entire "business chain" from; raw materials, invention, design, manufacturing, marketing, selling, distributing, shipping, warrantees, insurance, credit, etc. ALL EXISTS to service the ELU (End Line User). Remove the ELU from the equation and the entire business chain falls like a house of cards. We all work for you!

With all respect, mr. Glesser, but you haven't answered. Do not know much about business, but If your margin is fixed, then production cost of Endura4 is less then Endura3. Maybe word "relatively" is the key...
Yet I prefer not to peek into your business kitchen, just enjoy knifes you make (I got Endura 3 as a EDS)

My mistake. But even it it isn't MBC rated, it's still an extremely strong lock and a significant upgrade from the Endura 3.
On that note, does anyone know if the screw pivot is inherantly stronger than the rivet?

- Chris

I have been thinking about this a lot lately myself.

I prefer the higher end of production stuff: titanium, g-10, full flat grinds, etc. I have a severe case of the shakes for a Manix!

I was lookign a lot at my catalog the last 2 weeks, and I think that for me, an ultimate EDC would be a modified Military. The Miltiary has great steel, fantastic useful blade shape, and has a full flat grind. I would like a different lock (not a liner fan anymore), tip up carry, and I would also change the handle, incorporating more of a guard or whatnot for protection up front. Needless to say I look forward to seeing a Military 2 in a year or 2 (earlier thread).

Now look at the Endura 4: it has the tip up I like, great steel, reliable lock-back that is still quite strong, and it has that front stwll/finger protection idea I am after. All at half the cost of a Military! Now that is value!

I got a Meercat for Christmas from my cat (no kidding!) and for the price my cat paid, I can't believe I got such a great knife.

I don't consider myself too brand loyal. I do get charmed or enchanted with brands, but performance has to be there or else I am not buying. I spend most of my time nowadays handing around SPyderco forums and products, because SPyderco consistently adds value and performance to their products.

Way to go Sal and crew!

P.S., I NEED a Manix and an Endura 4!! Just had to get that out :)

kgriggs8

BANNED
"It also warrants mention that Spyderco, unlike most companies, is not out to suck our wallets dry. They're out to make money, don't get me wrong, they are a business, but they prefer to have repeat buyers over the long term, rather than one overpriced sale."

Maybe that is why I buy five Spydercos to every one of any other brand. With what Spyderco has made and is making now, there is something for everyone looking for a folder. From the Manix down to the Cricket, they make good knives at good prices. If you want a gents folder, the Kopa or Delica or many other knives will fit the bill. If you want a tough full sized folder, the Manix or the Military or Police will work. If you are like me and prefer your EDC knives to fall somewhere in between, there are many choices. I like the Para, Centofante II, Calypso Jr. Centofante IV, Rescue, R-2, Lil Temp, ect.

Spyderco makes AWESOME knives at really reasonable prices!! I LOVE every Spyderco I have. I will always be a loyal customer!!

i own 8 spydie folders and 0 fixed blades.

why cant spyderco make fixed blades that appeal to me??

am i the only one that has an imbalance between their folders and their fixed blades?

i know they make fixed blades. its just that none of them appeal to me! :(

Bill

Hesparus said:
My mistake. But even it it isn't MBC rated, it's still an extremely strong lock and a significant upgrade from the Endura 3.
On that note, does anyone know if the screw pivot is inherantly stronger than the rivet?

- Chris

Just to let you know, i have an endura 3 trainer that i have abused the living shit out of. repeated full force hits on the "blade" and spine on solid objects with no lock failure or loostening. If the endura 4 is stronger than the 3 (which it is, i have handled one) then despite it not having an MBC rating it is in no way a poor choice for martial blade combat.