Enertia Trail Foods

Before my kids were born, I was doing a lot of backpacking and hiking. My main go-to food for trail cooking was Enertia Trail Foods. It looks as if they may have gone out of business. I enjoyed their meals, because they were easy to cook, were smaller packages than mountain house, and actually tasted great. You could pack a whole weekends worth of food in to a small space in your pack. I'm looking to get back in to it now that my kids are a bit bigger and need less supervision.

I haven't looked in some time, but does anyone have suggestions for pre-packaged trail meals, other than Mountain House?

You could always make your own. Get your kids involved as well.
Just google "DIY camp meals" or "DIY MRE's"

Ther are several newer brands out there now besides the old standby Mountainhouse. I suppose that the only way to know what tastes best to you is to buy and try several brands. I do like MH myself, at least several of their meals. And they seem to come out with new varieties every year. There is a lot to be said about the convenience, compactness and light weight of FD meals. I'll be picking three or four soon for my first spring trip. Prices of the various brands seem to all be about the same, around the cost of a fast food meal for one which feeds two. I suggest you look at the online retailers' offerings and order a mixed bag to see what you like. Even some Walmarts carry them now, though not a wide variety.

Back