Ensis FFK - Framelock Folder

Dear Bladeforum members,

Ensis Knives is launching our first model, the FFK. It is a steel framelock folder with an ATS-34 blade. It has a 3 3/8 inch blade and is 8 3/4 inches overall. We believe that we offer an innovative design, impeccable build quality at a competitive price.

Look for our products at retailers soon.

For more information, pictures or to contact us directly, please visit our website: www.ensisknives.com

ENSIS KNIVES.

That is a cool looking knife! What else can you tell us about it? Many aspects of it remind me of some of my favorite folders.

On bladeforums we have a thing called a "passaround" were one person ships a knife to the next person that way people can see a knife without buying it, it seems to work well, and if you are confident in your product that maybe something that you would like to explore.

Rules for a Passaround

Pass around Forum

First off, thanks for all the community members who visited our site and took a look around.

We currently are holding prototypes only. Our production run is due to arrive in mid 2004. Once we get our hands on those, we would be more than happy to send one to the bladeforum community to abuse or cherish as they see fit. =)

The knife was designed as a tactical knife from the ground up. It feels really solid in the hand and is ideal for forward or reverse grip. The production run will have optional serrations. It is on the longer side to accommodate larger hands or gloves. We designed a more "dangerous" looking version as well as a kerambit which will hopefully see production one day.

We are trying to gauge the market as of right now to determine production levels. Pre-orders are discounted. Contact sales@ensisknives.com for details.

We also have hand-made folded classical Japanese tantos (Tatara steel with full rayskin wrap and steel fittings). They are not up on the site yet but will be soon. I don't think I can post pictures on this forum so I will post when those are up. We can send photos to those interested in getting them early as they have a 2-3 month waiting time.

Dealers can contact us at dealers@ensisknives.com.

As I mentioned in email earlier, it looks like you have a winner design.

However, you might consider adding a lock stop of some kind. It would prevent lock overtravel.

-jon

That is a nice and very functional looking knife. I am glad to see this framelock at such a great price too. Though very grey turh-ish in appearance, that knife has great lines. For some reason I am not too fond of the butt end on that knife, but maybe I'd change my mind if I actually had one. Top marks go to your blade design! Pointy for fine woek, high grind translates to good geometry... well done.

Good luck with this knife! I wish I had one!

Sleek design! One thing about that karambit-style finger hole, I think in California (any other areas?) it makes the knife meet the breass knuckle laws. Not certain about that, but I'd love to see version #2 without a hole.

Very nice looking knife.

Since the departure of the BM Pinnacle there has been a hole in the market for a nicely sized high quality ~$100 folder.

This looks like it will fill that hole nicely.

I do have a few quick questions:

I understand that the company is based in Toronto. Where are the products actually manufactured?

I see that the knife is currently set up for just one carry position. Are there any plans to make the clip moveable for left handers or those who prefer tip-down carry?

Hi guys!

We're based in Toronto but our knives are made in Japan. Their quality control is impeccable.

As far as the hole is concerned, it isn't really a kerambit. The hole was really meant to lighten up the knife as well as provide an easy way to draw the knife from the pocket. We have designed a kerambit with a much larger hole to accommodate large hands.

Left hand models will be made in the future. One of our designers is left handed and he is a bit bitter that he doesn't have anything to play with.

For the first run, the carry position is tip up only. We will try to accommodate tip down positions in the next run.

Ensis Knives.

Photos of our tantos are up on our website.

Have a look! Our first sample will be here within the month and I'll post close-ups of the metal grain pattern.

Ensis Knives

It looks like your gonna have a great product coming out of the gate. Good choice of steels, excellent lines, and a damn good price will combine to make it a knife that I know I'll have to buy.

Huh. I was waiting for regular production and prices to come down. Looks like they went bye-bye instead. :grumpy:

I take it your website isn't up yet. I am curious to see your new framelock.

TheKnifeCollector said:
I take it your website isn't up yet. I am curious to see your new framelock.

No, this is a two-year-old thread. They USED to have a website, but no knives. You could pre-order, but they were expensive. I was waiting for production and lower prices but, well, you see what I see.

Back