Entry Level Belt Sander?

Hi All!

My Son (16) recently returned from a Scouting backpack (100+ miles in New Mexico) trip with a blade he wants to add scales to. I've done a ton of research and gathered much info from YT as well as this site. Great info all around! And while I've done quite a bit of woodworking myself over the years, I'm looking for advice on getting him an inexpensive, entry level belt sander to start him on this journey. I see this as something we'll enjoy doing together for years to come, so while I could probably get by with what I have (typical hand held 3 x 21 belt sander) I'm open to investing a little bit of money to get him started in such a way that he'll enjoy and appreciate having the right tools for the job.

I'm thinking of a 2" x 42" belt / disk combo, but wanted to get various opinions from the experts. What would you recommend starting with and why? Any specific models? I thought about Harbor Freight, but they only seem to carry 1" x 30" vs. the 2" wide belts. The other option I thought of would be a 4" x 36" combo. Ideally, I'd like to keep it under $150 or so.

What would you recommend to just get someone started off on the right path?

Thanks in advance!

If all you are doing to start is just attaching scales and shaping, don't bother with anything yet. Just use hand tools for now. If you start going further down the rabbit hole, then make a tool purchase based on your level of interest. A 2x42 is just going to be good for bulk removal and rough shaping. You need a slower belt speed to do any better than about 60 to 120 grit, before you switch to using sandpaper.

If all you are doing to start is just attaching scales and shaping, don't bother with anything yet. Just use hand tools for now. If you start going further down the rabbit hole, then make a tool purchase based on your level of interest. A 2x42 is just going to be good for bulk removal and rough shaping. You need a slower belt speed to do any better than about 60 to 120 grit, before you switch to using sandpaper.
Thanks Justin! I had thought about that as well as while I would personally use hand tools, I was thinking my son may loose patience and not enjoy the process as much as if he had a belt sander to start with.

I do a lot of work on a lathe, and also thought about just getting a few spindle drums and sleeves to mount in my chuck and use that to get him started. The other great thing about that is I'd have variable speed as well.

Appreciate the input!

Cliff, we can't post links, but if you google "Cone Loc Drum Sander" it might give another idea along the lines you mentioned with the other spindle drums.

Seems they may not be very available anymore. Sorry about that. The idea remains valid, though.

Cliff, we can't post links, but if you google "Cone Loc Drum Sander" it might give another idea along the lines you mentioned with the other spindle drums.

Seems they may not be very available anymore. Sorry about that. The idea remains valid, though.

Thanks! Between my floor standing drill press and lathes, I'm beginning to think this may be the route to take to get him started. I'm also wondering if it was quickly becoming my way of justifying a new tool purchase? I'm assuming no one here has done that before 🤔

I agree with Bill. The harbor freight 1x30 isn’t much use for blades, but it does a pretty decent job on handles in my opinion. The narrow, 1” belt makes it easy to hit areas a 2” belt can’t reach, and the high speed isn’t much of an issue when using it on wood. There are also a plethora of belts available for the 1x30 grinders these days. If you wanted to step up the quality a bit…. Maybe the Rikon or Grizzly 1x30 instead? They are (kind of) variable speed and go down to 2000rpm instead of just ~3500 and have better tables that can tilt and whatnot.

With some practice he can use it to sharpen his knives after he makes the handle too.

I started and still use for some tasks on every knife a 1x42 Kalamazoo smf, it runs at a medium speed of 1725 rpm.

I haven’t heard “cone-loc” in over 30 years, I used one early on.

Hoss

I've never heard of a cone lock drum sander in my life. I looked it up, to see if I could find a picture. I guess I found the wheels they use? Idk I'm probably too young (27)

Keep in mind files come in at least three levels of coarseness, and the larger the coarser also.

The ones in the hardware store here are always small and fine.

Get some half round files of different sizes, Bastard coarseness.
They will remove lots of material before you go to abrasive cloths and papers.

Keep in mind files come in at least three levels of coarseness, and the larger the coarser also.

The ones in the hardware store here are always small and fine.

Get some half round files of different sizes, Bastard coarseness.
They will remove lots of material before you go to abrasive cloths and papers.

Not to mention the 36 grit belt of wood files, rasps. The older I've gotten the more I have returned to hand tools; unrecoverable mistakes happen just a "wee bit" slower. Good rasps make short work of most handle woods and are really satisfying to use.

Not to mention the 36 grit belt of wood files, rasps. The older I've gotten the more I have returned to hand tools; unrecoverable mistakes happen just a "wee bit" slower. Good rasps make short work of most handle woods and are really satisfying to use.
I like the Shinto saw rasp. It will cut brass no problem, where a wood rasp might grab or skate.

Those Shinto rasps are great! I find that they will remove wood at a place that is almost as good as a grinder, without the risk burning. Especially on really dense wood.

Back