• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

ESEE 3 and Bark River Gunny

rpn

Gold Member
One of life's age old questions- Bark River or Esee/Rat? :confused:;):D

This is going to pretty basic folks, mostly photos with some commentary at the end...just too jammed for time and I didn't put a lot into it. But, pictures are always cool, right? :thumbup::D

IMG_2785.jpg

IMG_2786.jpg

IMG_2792.jpg

IMG_2793.jpg

IMG_2788.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, a few thoughts.

First of all, my bias. I like my RC3 more. I've had it for several years and it's my in-car knife. Good steel, easy to care for and sharpen, great sheath, like the pommel and I trust it. Hasn't had much use since it landed in my car- but that's ok! Another bias I have is that I think knives fit our hands differently and what's good for me may not be good for another. These are both solid knives anyway you shake it and someone needs to hold them/use them to see if one is better for them!

I haven't had the gunny for too long. I've struggled a little bit with the convex edge for sharpening, but just got a strop, have stroped the snotz out of it and am making progress.

I did a couple quick things here for play. Had a baby 5 weeks ago and got out to stretch my legs, get some fresh air and check these two out a little.

I processed a little wood, cut this wood into pieces and the RC3 was a easier. The Gunny transmits more shock to me and I find I can change my grip better with the Esee.

Fuzz sticks the Gunny takes it easily, but the stakes I felt like i could control the Esee more- go figure!

Batonning was a wash...maybe a little more comfortable with the RC3. But both did fine. I batonned cross-wise through the limbs and both did well- no pics there- spaced a little!

Lastly a couple more fuzz sticks to see how the edges held up...just fine!

Something I do think about is self-defense also. For me it's the RC3..better liveness for me, a little faster and I like the grip more for that application.

Really, I have yet to find a knife in this size range I like more than my 2nd genration Howling Rat. It can do it all with the comfort of Res C, hold a great edge and I love the big choil! These are two really good knives though, easily accessible and affordable.

Not a great review I know...but it was nice to get out on a evening stroll and take a few pictures. The final verdict? Buy the one you like more! hah!

Nice pics!!!
The RC 3 looked like it did better on the fuzz sticks but they were both pretty close.
The Gunny is a sexy looking blade though!!!
For the price I prefer the RC 3 and the coated 1095 is really easy to maintain.
All in all I think it was a good review.
Grats on the new baby!!!!

Nice write up! How does the gunny handle feel in hand, it seems like it would be a little small?

Thanks guys! The fuzz sticks come easier with the Gunny fo' sure!

The Gunny handle is nice actually. Nice size and shape. The Esse is slender/narrow and is tough for some folks i know. The howling rat I mentioned has smaller res c handles too that some folks have a hard time with. No probs for me though, my hands aren't too big I guess..the gunny is more of a handfull with the thicker blade too...

Nice review. I have both these knives, but have yet to use either of them much. I think they both fit the day hike, all around camp chore knife very well and I feel well equiped with either.

looks like the gunny might be better on game & food but i like the handle on the rat for camp work.

I haven't hunted in a good long while, but the thinner blade of the RC talks to me a bit more...I've used them both in the kitchen, but it's been awhile and I don't remember anything specific...

Nice review. I have both these knives, but have yet to use either of them much. I think they both fit the day hike, all around camp chore knife very well and I feel well equiped with either.

Yeah, i figure they are pretty close in most regards and simply both are very good knives.

My only qualifier is that in a knife this size- if I only had one, I would much rather have my Howling Rat. Paired with a bigger knife- you are good to go with one of these...although I recently got a Scrap Yard Weiner Dog and Koyote EDC Convex that are just insanely good and when combined with a bigger blade...awesome!!!

IMG_2508.jpg

I would go with the Bark River (after my SR Bandicoot, of course). They look more functional to me, I don't like small and wide knives. The ESE knives look too wide for me. YMMV.

Yeah, i figure they are pretty close in most regards and simply both are very good knives.

They are excellent knives and both are good values for what you get plus they really stand behind their products. If I could pick three knife companies to fill my fixed blade needs it would be Bark River, Fallkniven and ESEE. I have the most knives from both of them and have been totally satisfied.

Edited to add Fallkniven. I'd love to see a review of the Gunny, RC-3 and Fallkniven F1 side by side. I know the F1 is stainless, but they are all similar in size. I've got all three, just no time right new to get out and use them all. :(

Last edited:
If you're going to carry two knives, one pretty big for wood work, etc., and one smaller for the game and food work, then I suggest you replace the larger with a decent hatchet. IMO.

Back