Esee Candiru or Izula?

Hello Guys!
I would like to buy a smaller knife for my outdoor activities, for secondary purposes like food preparing. Now I use my Skyline for these tasks but I want to keep that as an edc knife and have some fixed blade for the case something happens with my primary in the woods. I like the Candiru and the Izula too, but a little bit more the first one. My only fear is that it maybe a little bit too short for tasks like cutting onions and stuff like that. Whats your opinion, what do you recommend for me?

Hello Guys!
I would like to buy a smaller knife for my outdoor activities, for secondary purposes like food preparing. Now I use my Skyline for these tasks but I want to keep that as an edc knife and have some fixed blade for the case something happens with my primary in the woods. I like the Candiru and the Izula too, but a little bit more the first one. My only fear is that it maybe a little bit too short for tasks like cutting onions and stuff like that. Whats your opinion, what do you recommend for me?

The Candiru is VERY small. The handle is absolutely a three-finger grip handle. The Izula is bigger, but it definitely counts. For a similar price, there's also the Izula II, which upgrades the handle to a real grip (to include scales).

Full disclosure: I have all three. I do love my Candiru, but it's essentially a tiny neck-knife. The Izula would be a tad better suited to the tasks you're speaking of in your post.

That said, there's a review of the Candiru in the Review section which shows that it is actually a workhorse in its own right, but if grip comfort is a concern, I'd go with an Izula II, honestly.

Here is a pic of my Candiru in hand with my large Seb Insingo for reference.

16526799764_7ec484e790_b.jpg

Never had a candiru but I've had both Izulas. I can't imagine using a smaller knife than the Izula. In fact the Izula 2 is IMO as small as it gets for a primary fixed blade. I use my Izzy 2 with a paracord wrap probably the most out of all my fixed blades. I've split kindling, made fuzzies, carved a spoon, prepped dinner etc. Great little knife.

They're both great knives. If you like the Candiru better, go for it!

I'd recommend getting the G10 or micarta scales they make for it, though.

I have both the Candiru and Izula, and while both see a lot of use, the Izula is by far the more useful knife. The Candiru is great little sharp, but it's small size does limits it practicality for some uses.

ESEE just released one called the Camp-lore. It might fit the bill that you are looking for.

Here is a pic of my Candiru in hand with my large Seb Insingo for reference.

16526799764_7ec484e790_b.jpg

wow, that thing is tiny! I thought they looked cool, but didn't realize how small it actually was. I'd go for the Izula I think.

Not to hijack but personally I would prefer a stainless blade for food prep (and a longer blade as well)

Whatever you pick, buy an Opinel 9 or 10 INOX with it. Only 2 oz and in terms of raw cutting ability, nothing cuts better than the thin full convex grind of an Opinel.

Good luck

Last edited:
Get the Candiru...and then the Izula ii. Or Vice-versa. I'd skip the regular Izula...too similar to both the aforementioned.

Back