Esee coating getting into your stones..?

Anyone know whether there is any issue with the coating (i suppose I should know what the coating is) of esee blades getting into/onto any sharpening gear?
I am a bit of a newbie in all this, but I would expect dmt 'stones' have different care issues, than for example a ceramic or natural stone?

Reason I ask is that I currently have only one stone. No idea what grade it is...
Anyhoo, i have just given up waiting for my Gatco delux diamond set (5 months waiting for it!) and tried to sharpen my Izula with the stone and then a piece of leather glued to a board. The leather has various stuff spread onto it- Solvol Autosol, and jewellers rouge! This is hopefully going to get close to a sharpening compound. The edge worked out great- really great. We have little A4 left in the house and my left arm is bare:rolleyes:
But the leading edge (say 2mm) of the black coating is totally polished. Got me thinking- what does this coating do to our sharpening kit?
Nb. I have since cancelled the 5-month-waited-for-Gatco set and ordered a sharpmaker....since reading the many shortcomings of the clamp kits.

I'll be very honest, other than a little maintenance I don't sharpen my own knives. A very good friend does all my real sharpening for me every now and then. I have never noticed anything nor has he said anything to me. I have never had a customer of mine that bought one of these knives ever mention anything as well.

Clean your stones (water,diamond, or oil stones) with Gojo hand cleaner and a brush. Removes all crud , including black residue.:thumbup:

I always knock the shoulder down on my knives with sandpaper when I get them. Makes them slice alot better. After that the coating never touches the stones.

I could see how it could crud them up though.

Paint stripper with Hoppes No 9 if you're really worried about it, I think that will take care of most of the filings and blade coating-but to be honest I think it's negligible.

I've got a sharpmaker and lansky diamond plates. The sharpmaker discolors some, but never had any issues with buildup. The lansky plates it just blows right off of. It's a powder coating, and after being removed from the knife, it basically turns back into a dry dust like powder.

Back