1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

ESEE Izula 2 strip and Patina & dyed scales w/ an interesting surprise?

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by aleforme, Apr 28, 2019.

1. aleforme

aleforme Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Bought an Izula 2 recently and knew I would be stripping it and dying the scales. I opted not the etch the logos but I think it turned out good. I just did a quick chemical strip on the blade and then did a simple vinegar bath for about 30 minutes. Just wanted to give it some patina protection. There are a couple random discolorations in the steel after the strip and the patina but I knew those would likely show up. Not concerned with a perfect finish.

Pre-Strip

[​IMG]

Stripper applied.

[​IMG]

Vinegar Bath

[​IMG]

Final Product. I already got a few scratches on it trying it out earlier today. I dyed the scales in Rite Dye and some little vinegar. Mixture was probably 75/25 Rite Black to Vinegar? Brought it to a boil and simmered the scales for about 20 minutes and then let them cool down for another hour or so. They didn't turn out pure dark black but rather a darker charcoal which is fine with me. Overall, I'm really happy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now the surprise. After stripping and adding the vinegar patina, you can clearly see shadow logos and a different serial number. Very weird. I don't care in the least but just thought it was weird. See below. Sorry about the crappy photos.

Any ideas how this happened? I know these come from a big plate of steel. I guess they had a few messed up prior to cutting and engraving this blade. LOL.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    115Italian, Pteronarcyd and uxo2 like this.
  2. CoryMc

CoryMc Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 3, 2016
    That’s an 11,842 number difference anyway. Must be a huge plate of steel...

aleforme likes this.
  3. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2016
    I'd bet the knife was rejected by QC after the logo and number was etched, then sent back for rework and renumbered as an automatic process. Just a theory.

aleforme likes this.
  4. aleforme

Feb 21, 2013
    Ha, good point. LOL.

5. aleforme

Feb 21, 2013
    Yeah, that's likely the case. You see if was in a slightly different position. Not a concern but just kinda interesting.

I wonder if this thing is now ultra valuable now that it technically has two serial numbers? Like a misprinted or two headed penny that makes it out of the mint? Years from now this could be the holy grail Izula 2! :p

Or, maybe not......:(

6. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2016
    I'm sure it's just as any other "investment-grade" ESEE in your collection :cool:

Back on topic, how do you etch the logos. This is one I just did a similar treatment to. Stripped, tumbled and then patina. I did the patina with vinegar and mustard and really liked it, and I was happy that the logos stayed in tact with almost a silver sheen to them. How do you etch the logo alone (I am not going to do it, just very curious)?
    20190414_104258.jpg

aleforme likes this.
  7. aleforme

Feb 21, 2013
    Dang, I guess mine is not a grail then. LOL. Such high hopes! :p

Wow, your 4 turned out great. Love the blade. I might still put some mustard on mine. Maybe do a faux hammon look? Cut a template to cover the blade and apply the mustard to the exposed areas.

Etching seems pretty straight forward but you have to do it before you strip from my understanding I couldn't find any etchant near me so I just decided to skip it. It basically eats metal to make the logo engraving deeper and darker. Another member hear sent me the link below on the process. I have an ESEE 3 coming that I might try the etching on. We'll see.

https://2bitgeek.com/blog/2017/2/26/modified-izula-ii-knife-acid-etched-forced-patina

TRfromMT likes this.