ESEE Izula 2 strip and Patina & dyed scales w/ an interesting surprise?

Bought an Izula 2 recently and knew I would be stripping it and dying the scales. I opted not the etch the logos but I think it turned out good. I just did a quick chemical strip on the blade and then did a simple vinegar bath for about 30 minutes. Just wanted to give it some patina protection. There are a couple random discolorations in the steel after the strip and the patina but I knew those would likely show up. Not concerned with a perfect finish.

Pre-Strip

LL9deNQl.jpg

Stripper applied.

gDOUWWml.jpg

Vinegar Bath

fYusgtml.jpg

Final Product. I already got a few scratches on it trying it out earlier today. I dyed the scales in Rite Dye and some little vinegar. Mixture was probably 75/25 Rite Black to Vinegar? Brought it to a boil and simmered the scales for about 20 minutes and then let them cool down for another hour or so. They didn't turn out pure dark black but rather a darker charcoal which is fine with me. Overall, I'm really happy.

Yjx8Cq1l.jpg

HGIJce8l.jpg

Now the surprise. After stripping and adding the vinegar patina, you can clearly see shadow logos and a different serial number. Very weird. I don't care in the least but just thought it was weird. See below. Sorry about the crappy photos.

Any ideas how this happened? I know these come from a big plate of steel. I guess they had a few messed up prior to cutting and engraving this blade. LOL.

gJUOGGzl.jpg

okt8lHWl.jpg

7CT4hy3l.jpg

PRUmRyZl.jpg

Last edited:
I'd bet the knife was rejected by QC after the logo and number was etched, then sent back for rework and renumbered as an automatic process. Just a theory.

I'd bet the knife was rejected by QC after the logo and number was etched, then sent back for rework and renumbered as an automatic process. Just a theory.

Yeah, that's likely the case. You see if was in a slightly different position. Not a concern but just kinda interesting.

I wonder if this thing is now ultra valuable now that it technically has two serial numbers? Like a misprinted or two headed penny that makes it out of the mint? Years from now this could be the holy grail Izula 2! :p

Or, maybe not......:(

Yeah, that's likely the case. You see if was in a slightly different position. Not a concern but just kinda interesting.

I wonder if this thing is now ultra valuable now that it technically has two serial numbers? Like a misprinted or two headed penny that makes it out of the mint? Years from now this could be the holy grail Izula 2! :p

Or, maybe not......:(

I'm sure it's just as any other "investment-grade" ESEE in your collection :cool:

Back on topic, how do you etch the logos. This is one I just did a similar treatment to. Stripped, tumbled and then patina. I did the patina with vinegar and mustard and really liked it, and I was happy that the logos stayed in tact with almost a silver sheen to them. How do you etch the logo alone (I am not going to do it, just very curious)?
20190414_104258.jpg

I'm sure it's just as any other "investment-grade" ESEE in your collection :cool:

Back on topic, how do you etch the logos. This is one I just did a similar treatment to. Stripped, tumbled and then patina. I did the patina with vinegar and mustard and really liked it, and I was happy that the logos stayed in tact with almost a silver sheen to them. How do you etch the logo alone (I am not going to do it, just very curious)?
View attachment 1119456

Dang, I guess mine is not a grail then. LOL. Such high hopes! :p

Wow, your 4 turned out great. Love the blade. I might still put some mustard on mine. Maybe do a faux hammon look? Cut a template to cover the blade and apply the mustard to the exposed areas.

Etching seems pretty straight forward but you have to do it before you strip from my understanding I couldn't find any etchant near me so I just decided to skip it. It basically eats metal to make the logo engraving deeper and darker. Another member hear sent me the link below on the process. I have an ESEE 3 coming that I might try the etching on. We'll see.

https://2bitgeek.com/blog/2017/2/26/modified-izula-ii-knife-acid-etched-forced-patina

Back