ESEE Izula boot carry

Did a seasrch going way back and didn't seem to find anything, so I have a question:

Izula vs. Izula II for boot carry.

Now I know 'not many' people carry knives in boots anymore, but I wear boots literally everyday and have been carrying on the outside of my left boot for about 4 years. Starting cheap and trying to find something worthwhile, I have bought and carried cheap Smith and Wesson, Colt, and Schrades leading to a slight upgrade to the Gerber Guardian Backup and SOG Instinct but the lot of them are pure junk. Pathetic steels, grinds, geometry, etc but I never really cared because they are a backup to the backup.

Nowadays I carry a ZT, ZAK, and a Rat 2 and am looking to upgrade the boot blade to something respectable with an edge at least good enough to spread butter. That brings me to the ESEE Izula, from all accounts a great blade from a great American company in a steel I not only like very much but have experience with sharpening. My question is, does anybody carry these in their boot? I am trying to decide between the Izula and Izula II. I like the micarta scales on the II, and would like the extra real estate for my hands, but does the bulkiness effect carry? Of all the knives I have carried there, I don't even notice them during the day, but the Izula II handle is so much thicker.

I don't have access to these besides online so I am looking for some opinions before dropping $100 on something that may not work for me.

I can't help on the boot/grip question, too many variables. I will say the Izula series should make a fine boot knife. Another to consider is the Tops Mini Scandi. 3" blade, 1095 and within your budget. My friend purchased one and I was very impressed.
Not my pics.
RicPuaA.jpg

PqKYLMX.jpg

I would love to see a pic of how you carry your knife. The Izula I is a bit shorter which may be better for boot carry. You could do a paracord wrap instead of using the grips or just go commando and not use any grips. I am sure you could find one used if you look around here. Look into the SOG Snarl (budget model) AKA Brous Blades Silent Soldier V1 or V2 for a interesting alternative.

I can't help on the boot/grip question, too many variables. I will say the Izula series should make a fine boot knife. Another to consider is the Tops Mini Scandi. 3" blade, 1095 and within your budget. My friend purchased one and I was very impressed.
Not my pics.
RicPuaA.jpg

PqKYLMX.jpg
That is a good recommendation, and even a bit cheaper than the ESEE, but the sheath is a dealbreaker for me. The way I carry (inside my boot on the outer left side) the sheath becomes honestly just as important as the knife. I have lost 3 out of 5 boot knives that I actively carried (1 retention problem and 2 rubberized handle had too much friction on bdu's and rips them out of the sheath). Needs to have a stout clip, flush mount, great retention, and slim as to not interfere... Which really is why I have had so much trouble finding the right one.

I suppose if I could get ahold of a izula clip plate I could drill and affix it to a kydex pancake sheath, but there are some variables there.

Love the small ESEE knives, but IMO the best boot knife for the money is the Buck 616...the sheath is very versatile allowing the little knife several different ways to suit your needs.
Just my $.02

Thanks Lee. Great reccommendation, nice looking sheath and American to boot! Pardon the pun. I don't have any experience with the CPM but I don't think that would be a problem at all.

Plus lately I have been trying to avoid the double edged carry blades, since I live in NY and all.

Back