ESEE Junglas or Ontario RTAK 2

Which would you chose? About the same size, same steel, but a big difference in sticker shock. I'm seriously thinking about the RTAK2. Anyone have both or an opinion to share?

The Junglas has been released at one of my vendors and I was considering it until I ran into a YT video on the Ontario. :)

well, i would get the junglas, i dont care for the ontarios, i have seen some bad F&F on the ones i have come across. the junglas has that great no questions asked lifetime warranty. if you get the junglas you could do a head to head with your BWM :D ;)

EDIT: consider that the RTAK 2 is the older version, on top of what i said just now the junglas has been "updated" like the amazing sheath and the better handle.

Junglas will have better HTed 1095, better warranty, and i would bet it would be a much more comfortable blade to use, the handle ergos look more comfy...i dont own one, just my observations...

So for the two posters above,a question. Which of you have /do own both a Junglas or RTAK II ?

Or even just the Junglas which you both recomend?

Observations of what? Pictures? Online vids of use? Photos in a reveiw thread? Actual hands on use? Friend of a friend own one? Seen one on NCIS?

What prompted your absolute recomendation? R.AT Pack kool-aid? Wishfull thinking? Or something more substantional?

well the way i see it, the RTAK doesnt have the same warranty, it has a less comfortable handle different HT different coating and the junglas has a much better sheath. pretty much the same thing i said in my earlier post, i just dont understand why you are getting so angry over someone sharing their opinions and showing the facts.......

Personally, I won't buy from Ontario.

Non personally, I have held an RTak II and it felt like a great blade in the hand. However, I will have a Junglas within the week, and will be able to comment on that more.

But based on Warranty, and sheath, I would go with ESEE. (That said, if you are on a budget, I do NOT think the RTak II is a bad blade.)

i just dont understand why you are getting so angry over someone sharing their opinions and showing the facts.......

Far from angry. Perplexed as how two posters with zero hands on experiance with the two knives in question can give qualified opinions on said knives.

Facts? Show me a photo that shows you own and use both ESEE and Ontario RATS and I can believe your opinions on fit,finish,heat treat,..etc as fact.

well not to derail the OP's thread but i own both ontario and ESEE's i can comment on the aspects that i mentioned, HT, coating, sheathing, handles, F&F. and IMO the ESEE wins hands down. and dont worry, i dont care if you believe me. i know what i know and i was just trying to help the OP instead of derailing his thread....

My question must have been premature. I saw the Junglas was shipping from KWrks and figured somebody had one already.

I know Shotgunner did a review on the Junglas in the ESEE section, but don't know where his came from. Maybe they've just become available yesterday or today?

I guess we'll be hearing more soon, the NutnFancy project shows the RTAK 2 chopping and also a table top and it seemed like the same darn thing. He highly recommended it. I looked up the prices & pics then compred to the Junglas. That's why I asked. I'm not abreast of any politics between the former manufacturers of RAT knives and ESEE.

A good knife is a good knife though. I guess the question is how much better is the Junglas - really?

I'm not looking at pictures of both in front of me but the handles were about the same length and material - only slightly different in the handle curves? :)

a few people have gotten theirs so far, i imagine more will have theirs next week. the reasons that i mentioned in my previous posts are why i think it junglas is better, just my opinion YMMV.

Observations of what? Pictures? Online vids of use? Photos in a reveiw thread? Actual hands on use? Friend of a friend own one? Seen one on NCIS?

What prompted your absolute recomendation? R.AT Pack kool-aid? Wishfull thinking? Or something more substantional?

Who made you God?

Could it be possible that we are all fooled. I looked at each knife at multiple sites. Guess what. Down the the fractions and ounces and shape etc etc they are the same knife as far as I am concerned. The TTKAK2 can be had for 103 in one place and I did not shop long and the Junglas 153 and again this is with a short shop. I saw on another review site that you could get one or the other I forgot which one for sixty something dollars.

Same knife depending how much you want to spend it looks like to me.

I will do a more thorough search on specs and prices for the Judge up there but it looks like the knive came off the same assembly line to me.

Last edited:
Who made you God?

Nobody.

I simply asked how the recomendations were made. The answer is...guessing.

At most one poster can state that of the Ontario RATs/ESEE RATs he owns the ESEE's are constucted better. And based on his prior post history I can believe him.

Of course if you prefer to take someones recomendation simply based on them posting "brand Y is better than brand X cause I say so".Then go right ahead, you will deserve to be dissapointed in your purchases.

Me, I prefer to know why and how the recomendation is made.

well not to derail the OP's thread but i own both ontario and ESEE's i can comment on the aspects that i mentioned, HT, coating, sheathing, handles, F&F. and IMO the ESEE wins hands down. and dont worry, i dont care if you believe me. i know what i know and i was just trying to help the OP instead of derailing his thread....

Nobody.

At most one poster can state that of the Ontario RATs/ESEE RATs he owns the ESEE's are constucted better. And based on his prior post history I can believe him.

Of course if you prefer to take someones recomendation simply based on them posting "brand Y is better than brand X cause I say so".Then go right ahead, you will deserve to be dissapointed in your purchases.

sure, that is exactly what i said....

I'd love to see an "Ankerson" like review of them in action side by side but that takes time and not everyone has the time. I am sure someone will though. And no, I'm not going to guess or speculate but plan on ordering the Junglas soon. I'm still breaking in the RC-5 though. ;) .

Mention those two brands on the same page and politics takes over. I have had to many of both to pick a clear winner in any catagory. IMO You will get your monies worth from both companies. For many years I have been well served by both, of course Ontario has been around as long as I have.

Nobody.

Dude its an internet forum...

If your so concerned about people only recommending one over the other, only based on having both of them, why dont you buy both and send them to me and i will do a full write up just for you on which one is better...Ill even go down to Lowes and purchase a whole bunch of 2x4s on my own dime to test the knives on...

I, personally, have owned an ontario made RAT and own and have seen a few ESEE knives...From my personal experience, ESEEs have much better F&F and a better all around knife than the ontario made ones...now based on my findings, i can assume the ESEE made junglas will be the same F&F and HT as all other ESEE/Rowen made products...

To the OP, Buy whichever one you think is the best for you...

i got handle RTAK2 on a passaround on another knife forum. the ESEE Junglas looks to have a thicker blade spine. also ESEE looks to have made a vast improvement on the sheath! that was a weak point for the RTAK2 for me. :) if i needed a big chopper for under 200 i'd go with the ESEE JUNGLAS!

I have an RTAK II and have beat the hell out of it. I've used it for about a month, chopped and split wood, and chopped a 2x4 into one foot lengths. The edge would not shave but there were no nicks or chips nor flat spots anywhere on the blade. I sharpened it for the first time last night with a convexed edge. I understand that there can be variances in het trest from different product runs, but I believe mine has very good heat treat. I gave 95 dollars for my RTAK II, and my opinion is, I would purchase the cheaper to see if I like the feel before I spend twice as much and find out it is not for me. Just my two cents.

Back