Esee /Junglas vs Buck/Hood Hoodlum

What knife do you recommend of these 2?

One is 1095 , one is 5160 steel

First: Buck/Hood Hoodlum
* Blade: 10.0" (16.5 cm), survival straight clip, 5160 steel with a powder coat finish for corrosion resistance
* Thickness: 0.220"
* Length: 15 1/2" (39.4 cm) overall
* Weight: 14.6 oz. (414.0 g), 22.0 oz. (624 g) carry weight
* Handle: Removable Black Linen Micarta® handle scales
* Sheath: Heavy-duty nylon, M.O.L.L.E. compatible with leg strap cord and front storage carry pouch
* Features: Handle SMS system, large forward finger choil, blade groove, hammer and lanyard hole
* Pro Level
* Made in USA
BU0060BKSBH.jpg

Second: Specifications

* Overall Length: 16.5 inches
* Overall Handle Length: 5.88 inches
* Overall Handle Thickness: 0.88”
* Blade Max Thickness: 0.188”
* Weight without Sheath: 22.5 ounces
* High Sabre Blade Grind
* Hammer Pommel
* Canvas Micarta Handles (Removable)
* 1095 Steel Blade – Black Powder Coated
* Ambidextrous Kydex Sheath with Cordura MOLLE Back
* Made in the USA By RAT Cutlery (ESEE Knives) / Rowen Manufacturing
RCJUNGLAS.jpg

I have no experience with the Ron Hood, but I love my Junglas...

JGON

Reminds me alot of Ron Hoods Hood Hunter he had Fehrman making for a little while same size and similar style blade except the Hood Hunter had a guard on it. Seems like a good knife i dont think it would be as good as an all around chopper as the junglas due to its relative light weight in comparison. I think both knives though could be applied and used in a survival situation with the person using them getting by just fine.

They are good knives, I've used both. I own a Hoodlum. (TOPS version)

The Hoodlum is a much lighter and faster blade. It is easier to use for something like shelter building, traps and so forth.

The ESEE, being heavier, is better suited to chopping wood than the Hoodlum, if that's your thing.

Well the Buck is "Pro Level," so your choice should be obvious. :rolleyes:

I'd get the ESEE, no contest.

The Junglas is available today, the Buck Hoodlum is a preorder item with no set delivery date.
I love the looks of the hoodlum and the sheath looks good.
The hoodlum at .220 thickness should have a slightly thicker primary bevel than the Junglas at .188.
same length blades, similar prices, both companies known for good heat treat.
If you have smaller hands, the hoodlum might be a better fit due to handle size.
I have a Junglas and am very happy with it, but have liked the looks of the Hoodlum since I saw a review of the Tops version -- I suspect you can't lose either way.

I should be getting my Junglas in this Saturday, so I'll tell you what I think of it then. It does sound like a higher quality blade, with the individually fitted handles and the better sheath.

I've held the Junglas, and it is a very impressive looking and feeling knife. From a purely aesthetic point of view though, I prefer the Hoodlum, judging by the picture, the blade seems to come to more of an SD oriented point. On the other hand the Junglas has a kydex sheath which I much prefer to canvas Molle compatible sheaths.
If I had easy access to both, I'd be hard pressed to decide.

I'd worry about that notch being a weak point on the Buck. Chances are lateral pressure would break it at that point.

it's a round bottom hole so no stress risers and still has plenty of meat in the blade at that point, so I doubt it's going to be a problem unless someone uses it for other than the intended purpose of pot-lifting.

I recommend watching the video presentation before deciding on the Hoodlum.

I have both and like them for two different reasons.

The Hoodlum was designed to be a lightweight chopper.

The Junglas is noticeably heavier.

Get the Junglas if:
-You want a heavy chopper.
-Great warranty.

Get the Hoodlum if:
-You want a chopper but do not want your pants to sag from the carry weight.
-You want less handshock when chopping.

Not familiar with Buck knives warranty regarding the Hoodlum. Maybe someone here can clarify that.

They are both great knives designed with different attributes. Can't go wrong with either. They are working knives meant to be used as such.

My $.02

I will be getting the Junglas soon.
Not that the other knife isn't nice... I just prefer ESEE blades.

I think the Junglas is a better chopper but the Hoodlum would do better on smaller task....

Back