EsKabar vs. Izula vs. Izula II vs BK11

I'm pretty much a Becker guy, but I have been eyeing ESEE for quite sometime. The sheaths, micarta grips and that warranty really make them a great looking value, but I still love my Beckers and KA-BAR has never let me down as far as customer service goes.

But I digest...

I have a Becker BK11 with the micarta scales. I love the knife. Sometimes it feels a little uncomfortable in my hands due to my size and it's handle design, but I've grown used to it and count it as one of my favorite knives. That being said, I've still been looking at an Izula for two reasons. For one, the handle looks great, and second, nobody here can seem to shut up about how great they are!

So now, I'm torn. Do I stick with that I own and like (BK11)? or do I take the ESEE plunge and try the Izula? Other than the size difference, is there a reason to stick with the original Izula over the Izula II? I think I like the scales for the original Izula a bit better, but I don't think it would take me long to grow fond of the Izula II scales... Then there is the EsKabar. Izula handle, with a BK11 blade. Seems nice, but I'm wondering if just slapping a Becker blade on an ESEE handle really makes things that much better. Does anyone really regard the Izula blade as inadequate over the BK11?

I searched the ESEE forums, but I didn't find much asking for a comparison of the four blades and feedback regarding each of their pros and cons when looking just at them alone.

I own an original Izula and a BK14, and I have carried both for EDC. I do not have any experience with the Izula II or the BK11.

The ESKABAR is a good EDC knife. The blade size, as you know owning a BK11, is pretty beasty for a knife it's size. It is a pretty good cutter and slicer as it has a slightly better edge geometry for these tasks than the Izula IMO. That feeling you have of the BK11 being slightly uncomfortable in hand was something I observed with the BK14 as well, but mostly due to the blade heavy feel of the knife.

All of that being said, however, I just can't seem to put down my Izula. I had it first, so you'd think I'd be lusting after the BK14 now and moving on, but that's not the case...

My Izula just feels better in hand than my BK14. It has more balance. It feels more like a user. The blade heavy BK14 is a good knife and in some respects maybe more capable than the Izula, but that doesn't change how it feels in hand.

Throwing a Becker Blade on an Izula handle was certainly a cool idea and I'm glad it was done, but after handling and using both the Izula and ESKABAR, I have come to the conclusion that the Izula is a damn near perfect knife design and it is probably best to leave it alone... :D

I own all but the Izula II. I like the ESKABAR better than the Izula just for the fact of the larger blade and the drop point design. That said, the Izula is a damned fine knife also, capable of everything that the ESKABAR, or BK11 is. And vice versa. I Izula II will be a great knife as well. For me, the BK11 handle was too short for my hooves. I still have one, just 'cause. I want to get an Izula II when they come out. I think in reality, all the knives are very capable for whatever you daily needs are.

BK14, I'm a Beckerhead.

Moose

The only thing I don't like about the standard Izula is the small handle. I put the scales on it which makes it a lot better for me. I'd try the Izula II if I were you.

Word of warning, just one ESEE is hard to do.

Izula II is going to be the shiz. I've been using the Izula I since they came out and they've never left me wanting but the bigger handle is going to be amazing.

The Becker Necker is also a great blade that has served me well and I don't have anything negative to say about it. If the Izula weren't around that's what I'd be packing.

Haven't used the Eskabar as of yet. Played around with the preproduction proto but didn't cut anything but cardboard and paper with it.

I think any of the above will serve you well. It's just going to be personal preferance as to which one is better for you.

the thing that sold me on the izula is the fact that the blade is angled down a little making for efficient cuts (really, it was this video). i like the look of the bk11, but it doesn't look to be as efficient based on the shape of the knife. it seems that that is the reason everyone is so crazy about the izula. it is a lot more knife than it is. :)

the thing that sold me on the izula is the fact that the blade is angled down a little making for efficient cuts (really, it was this video). i like the look of the bk11, but it doesn't look to be as efficient based on the shape of the knife. it seems that that is the reason everyone is so crazy about the izula. it is a lot more knife than it is. :)

Yeah, I've seen that video. I think Bluntruth4u really helped sell a lot of Izulas with that one.

Yeah I've seen that vid a bunch of times. I remember the first time I saw it, I hadn't yet owned an Izula. If I remember right I think I placed my order for one the very next day after seeing it.

Here's a few pics to compare.
Izula a just about perfect for EDC IMO.
ESKABAR, Izula, SwampRat Warden
3sand4s00080.jpg

while the bare Eskabar is a bit blade heavy, I suspect putting solid scales (micarta or wood) on it would make a world of difference. With a cord wrap it's pretty comfortable to use - does a great job on food prep.
that said, I can't wait for the Izula II with the longer handle.

I have a couple of BK11s a couple Busse Skeleton Wardens, and 4 Izulas. I like the ESEE better than the BK11 mostly due to the BK11 isn't comfortable for me. The Izula gets carried more than any of the above because of the smaller handle. All the others poke out of my pocket a little where the Izula doesn't.
So far I haven't felt like I needed more knife or handle for the tasks it was designed for. I don't have huge bear hands though.
I do prefer the Izula with the micarta grips added though.

But the Izula is the easiest to just drop into a front pocket and go, so it's carried the most.

I like the DPx HEST the best in the size range, but it's just about double the cost of everything you listed. Other than that I'm a tride and true BK11 fan.

I love my Eskabar...
Although I do prefer bigger knives (4" and longer) its a pretty damn sweet knife, I also like the izula but the Eskabar has a bigger blade...

SAM_1921.jpg

I like the Izula a lot

IMG_1353.jpg

IMG_4793.jpg

IMG_4805.jpg

Because of its longer blade, I like the Eskabar even more

DSC_7278.jpg

IMG_3797.jpg

IMG_3802.jpg

However because of the potential to be more multi-functional in a urban environment I tend to carry the BK-11 more often than either of those.

DSC_7310.jpg

DSC_7301.jpg

I'm sure that when I get my hands on an Izula II I'll like it a lot too, all of the others have definitely proven to be very capable knives.

I love the Izula. Small enough to take everywhere, tough enough to take care of almost anything, and with the scales, is really comfortable to use.

I have a BK-11 and Izula but carry the BK-11 more because of the blade shape and edge geometry. Get the BK-14 and if you don't like the handle still, get an Izula II next. ;)

Back