1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Estate find: S&W Model 27-2

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by BrainOnSigs, Oct 6, 2012.

1. BrainOnSigs

BrainOnSigs

Oct 14, 2003
    An estate sale find last week. This one has me pleasantly suprised with an odd twist. It looked very lightly used......possibly unfired. It came with the orginal box and wax paper. The deep luster of the bluing is incredible and barely captured in my pics. I paid $500 cash for it. :D

It is a 1970-71 Smith & Wesson Model 27-2 (.357 Magnum) in an 8-3/8" barrel configuration.

The odd part? The orginal stocks (grips) were apparently removed and replaced. The current grips are a fairly rare set of 1956, non-relieved, diamond center, checkered, target grips. I have already received several offers between $175 and $225 just for the stocks.

I shot it over the past weeknd and it is very smooth and very accurate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Pretty gun.

I inherited my grandpa's .357 model 66 in stainless. It is a straight shooter. I replaced the wood grips on mine with rubber ones just for shooting, but still have the original wooden grips set aside.

3. Boru13

Boru13 Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator Pirate

Apr 23, 2005
    Nice score :thumbup:

4. dericdesmond

dericdesmond Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 10, 2007
    man I need to go to more estate sales, sweet gun

5. Flatsman007

Flatsman007

Apr 13, 2010
    Nice!!

6. M67

M67 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Good ol' Smith and Wesson blueing, great score, it looks amazing :thumbup:

7. t1mpani

t1mpani Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 6, 2002
    One of the classiest guns ever made by anyone--surpassed only by the original Registered Magnums on which it was based. Great find. My favorites are the 5" and 3.5" versions. :)

8. Mossyhorn

Mossyhorn Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 6, 2009
    I used to own several model 27's. That big N frame will shoot full power .357 magnums for a long time before it loosens up. The craftsmanship on the earlier models is just unparalleled. I envy you man. You own one of the best revolvers ever made.

9. UffDa

UffDa Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 1999
    You got a heck of a deal. I sold a 5" model 27 10 years ago for $625.

10. joshuaharman

joshuaharman Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2010
    NICE! Let me know if you ever get tired of it :D

11. jdigi101

jdigi101 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Amazing find. A total keeper.

12. texassteel25

texassteel25

Aug 19, 2011
    :eek:''''' drooooollllll

13. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Some N Frame goodness there mate...!!! A friends Old Man had a 3.5in 27 that was his carry gun out here for many years, that things was soooo sweet.... :D In .357 the l Frame is my favourite though.... ;)

[​IMG]

Or as it looks now...

[​IMG]

14. Black LX

Black LX

Jan 19, 2005
    My Grandfather's Registered Magnum sits in my Dad's gun safe. Grandpa bought it sometime in the late 30's off a guy who needed the dough. We shoot it once a year at Deer Camp in honor of the Old Man.

15. whetrock

whetrock

Nov 13, 2010
    Hard to beat the old N frame Smiths IMHO. Also the 357 Magnum while lackluster in power in today's world of 500's and 460's is one of the most versatile handgun chamberings one can have. Everything from light 38's to full power 357 magnums.

16. t1mpani

t1mpani Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Good! i have one and shoot it too--I take care of it, but refuse to have any gun I won't shoot. No gun should ever be forced into retirement when the lockup is still good. :)

17. Bravado

Bravado

Feb 14, 2002
  18. dman62

dman62

Sep 27, 2010
    Love those older N frames in any caliber. That is a sweet find.

19. RickJ

RickJ

Mar 2, 2003

My Dad use to have the same gun, his grips looked like yours so they may be original.