Etch or Stamp - Maker's mark?

I started off stamping, but now I etch.

Guys you are lot of help. LOL Thank you for your input. But I guess it doesn't really matter just mark 'em. I am leaning toward etching.

Just a couple things to consider. Etching allows you to put more information in your mark than stamping does. Generally you would include your name and possibly location; many makers incorporate this information into a logo design. This allows later collectors to have a better chance of finding you to order more of your great work!

Stamping is, in my mind, more traditional. Many makers use a first initial and last name (depending on the name of course! :D). Others, like me, just use a maker's mark, basically a logo, that carries essentially no information about the maker. There are many threads started by folks trying to identify the maker of a knife marked in this way. I would imagine that would be very frustrating for a collector, and reasonably would contribute to lower values for a knife since it's provenance is uncertain - unless of course the maker is so famous his mark is well known. Which is quite rare, particularly a few decades down the line.

You can make a quite deep and satisfying mark by etching, and include a lot of fine detail. Another benefit is the ease with which a maker can change an etched mark. Some makers use different marks for different "lines" of their knives, such as mid-tech work vs full handmade.

As a service to collectors, this seems like the best alternative for signing our work. Yet I'm not changing my stamped mark; it's more personal to me than anything more informative could be, and the stuff I make is really done more for me than for anyone else. I'm never going to be famous - or even well known in local circles! :D - so my mark is destined to be an enigma. That's not for everyone, and is really quite selfish on a market scale, in my opinion. I wrestle with this idea often. Perhaps one day I will find a way to incorporate my mark in a stencil with more identifying information. Or not.

Good luck in your knife making endeavors!

You can make a quite deep and satisfying mark by etching, and include a lot of fine detail.

Nice and interesting comment.
Anyone have any pics that show a "deep mark" as above?
The thing I haven't liked about etching is the more superficial look and occasionally an odd choppy look.

By the way Dave....Gun control: Learning to use the one hand hold :)

Dean (who can shoot two guns at the same time...and always miss the targets)

I started out etching, but did'nt feel it went with the style of work I am doing now. I signed with a dremel tool and a dimond bit for a while, but I decided to go with a stamp, which is what I do now. Both have advantages and disadvantages, and both will cost roughly about the same money if you go with a store bought etching machine, so it really comes down to what would work best for you and the look you want to achieve.

Back