Etching a logo

G'day all,

When I stripped and etched my Ratweiler I had quite a few questions as to how I did it. Well I did the same to my Battle Grade AK47 the other night and took some pictures and videos (if they work). I have also posted this in the Busse forum.

I pretty much just taught myself through good old Google! :thumbup:
All you need is salt, ear buds (I think you mob call them q-tips??) and a battery charger. I am unsure if it can be done with a 'smart' charger.

1 - first thing you need to do is make up a saturated salt solution.

2 - Next, plug in your battery charger.

3 - Positive lead clamped to blade. Negative to a saturated bud, taking care to ensure the steel of the clamp is in contact with the solution to unsure the electric-trickery is conducted. I found that 24V resulted in a quicker etch.

4 - gently move the cotton bud across the logo that you want etched, regularly changing the bud to a clean oneand keeping the whole area wet. I found it beneficial to also keep the logo area clean and flushed with the salt solution.

I will let the pictures and videos speak for themselves. The whole process including setting up takes about 10 minutes.
*not sure why the pictures aren't showing the correct orientation, sorry*.

Videos:

5 - and that's pretty much it! There are probably other things I should be doing and I'm happy to take some advice.

I really wish I had seen this before I stripped my 711 years ago. It is sterile now, ha! Thank you for taking the time to put this together :thumbup:

Thank you Dicko (did you figure that out on your own?) but ditto Hard Knocks -- I'm in that sterile boat with you.

I stumbled across it actually, I think I heard it mentioned either here or the Busse forum.

Piqued my interest & think I just googled my way into amateur effort.

"Slow & right beats fast & wrong"

Tried to do it with a 9V battery once... Should have thought of using charger instead!

I saw a video of a guy using a battery charger, 5 gallon bucket, wire rope, baking soda, and water, take rust off of an axe head. Pretty slicko. Kinda like you Dicko!

Tried to do it with a 9V battery once... Should have thought of using charger instead!

Just one? I was curious if that would work myself, but would hook up at least 3 in series to get the voltage up above the 24v that Dicko mentioned.

I've done some ti anodizing in the past with 9 volts that way, but don't know if they would produce enough current for the etch.

*edit* -Found a couple of articles, looks like 9v's should also work fine, just slower.

Last edited:
Back