Etching Logos

MM

I'd like to etch my logo onto my blades like R.W. Loveless shows in his book. Does anyone know where to purchase the acid resist that he uses. I think its called KMER.

------------------

Ciao

MM

MM, I don't know if you can get KMER any more. pc&e carries KTFR which does the same thing. The pre bake, post bake, and developing times are a little different. I found that KTFR was a bit pricey. It was about $200 dallors. You can get a real deep etch using KTFR. I use a laser printer with clear transparency film to make the stencils. Good luck--ray--

Most makers nowadays are using an electonic machine that uses electrolytic solutions and electricity to do the etching. Go to markingmethods.com to see the machines. There are a lot of less costly machines but these are top of the line. If you are only doing an occasional mark,have a professional stencil/logo made and have a knifemaking buddy with a machine put it on for you.

------------------
www.simonichknives.com

Ray-
Thanks. I'm not familiar with pc&e. How do I get a hold of them?

Rob-
Thanks for the suggestion. I've considered using a machine. My problem is that my logo wouldn't lend itself to a stensil. Also, since I work in the graphic arts industry I have access to hi rez imagesetters for film positives, exposure units and such so it seems to make sense for me to use the Loveless technique.

------------------

Ciao

MM

In Germany you can get really excellent stencils made from printer's films ( positive film right reading as you'd need for making silk screens ) from SCHILLING marking Systems GmbH they have a website at:

http://www.Marking-Systems.de

They also have a tremendous variety of electrolyte solutions for all different types of metal as well as etching machine for industry.

I've recently started using an old East German 12V power source and get good results. The good old Blades N Stuff catalog tells you just how to make one.

Ray-
Thanks. I'll give them a call.

Kevin-
I'll try calling some stensil makers here in LA. I have the Blades n Stuff catalog and I think they mention the stensil maker they used. Man, I sure miss Blades n Stuff.

------------------

Ciao

MM

Back