Recommendation? Etching stainless damascus

I would like Damasteel like this .Any idea how is that done ?
Skip to 15 min.
Take the Damasteel to a clean mirror finish before etching. Etch in muratic acid. Lightly polish with 6000 grit 3m papers.

Take the Damasteel to a clean mirror finish before etching. Etch in muratic acid. Lightly polish with 6000 grit 3m papers.

Thanks ! Here I can get only HCI acid .Can i use HCI ?Google say that there is difference between muratic and HCI ?

Muriatic acid is a form of hydrochloric acid, as mentioned earlier. But while hydrochloric acid contains only HCI molecules, muriatic acid is made up of HCI molecules as well as impurities such as iron
Hydrochloric acid [H⁺ Cl⁻ or H₃O⁺ Cl⁻], also known as muriatic acid, is an aqueous solution of hydrogen chloride. It is a colorless solution with a distinctive pungent smell.

Muriatic acid is hydrochloric acid, AKA HCl. It is just not the lab grade (impure). If it says HCl it is what you want. The normal concentration for either one is 30-35%. From there you dilute it as needed. Some use 1:1 HCl to distilled water, others use a more dilute ratio. Try some various concentrations from 1:1 down to 5:1 and see what you like the look of.

As with all etching, etch a tad deeper than you want and clean up with very fine sandpaper and a hard backing board. I use the 3M 4000, 600, or 8000 polishing papers.

If you dilute reagent HCl with tap water 4:1 you'll have all that crap like in muriatic acid!

I used warm ferric on damasteel and got a great etch. However I was told that muriatic acid would have given a sharper etch that would have looked better.

Powdered citric acid is easy to buy, you can get it cheap for water treatment or vet / animal use.
It's used in livestock and chicken water supplies to clean iron and scale from the water systems
anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, de-greasing and whitening

or also to acidify the water for tetracycline use.

It has a crazy reputation as extremely corrosive, but that is not so. Any chemist knows that concentration is what matters, not Ph or acid type.

Here is a chemical discussion about Coke:

Is Coca-Cola Classic as acidic as white vinegar? A first (but incorrect) assessment would look at the fact that the average pH of Coca-Cola Classic is about 2.53. This puts it at the lower range of white vinegar. However, as discussed before, the grams of acid per liquid is what matters since the quantity of acid dictates how much it can act (and dissolve) other compounds.

The active acid in Coca-Cola Classic is phosphoric acid (H3PO4). The average amount per can of coke works out to 17mg per 100 mL of Coca-Cola. This gives an acidity of only 0.017%. Granted, since phosphoric acid has three hydrogens instead of one like acetic acid there are some chemical considerations, but they are not as relevant at this low concentration.

Here is the recommendation straight from Hakkapela:

ARSV4v7.jpg

I etched a blade after grinding it back to thin BTE a bit, here it is:

2fa6gZ5.jpg

(Top blade). The etching matched the original pretty much exactly. I used straight hydrochloric acid.

Back