Evaluating an old knife collection

There were several Diamond Edge knives, but these are the ones in the best condition.

View attachment 931223 View attachment 931224 View attachment 931225

The fish knife is a really nice one! The second knife is a barlow which is a popular pattern these days. The last knife is a cheapie with shell handles. Shell construction, not sea shells. There's a paper thin layer of material (often celluloid) over the metal handles. This type of construction reduced cost of manufacturing.

Last edited:
Wow, you have some nice knives in that collection. You've posted at least 5 or 6 I'd love to make my own.

Those push button schrades, the schrade stockman marked primble....never seen bone/delrin on one like that.

The Schrade Congress is a great little knife too. I have a two blade version but don't come across the four blade frequently.

Quick question.

Of the knives that were damaged, I found two Camilus model 65s. As they were ruined when I got them I'm not concerned about value, but I am curious whether they are considered particularly collectible. I am already well into the cleanup of the better of the two, and am wondering if it's even worth the effort to start the same process on the second one.

DSCN8460s.JPG DSCN8461s.JPG DSCN8462s.JPG

Even if they may not be particularly valuable, they may be desirable for certain folks, who would appreciate them as possible rescue knives. Those might be sold in lots to prospective tinkerers, I'd grab a few and first thing would be done would be the removal of those covers to prevent further deteriation of the steel. Those Camillus knives look to have full blades and would make nice project pieces.

Last edited:
Those celluloid scales have got to go. That's what is creating the corrosion on the blades. The celluloid is off gassing a corrosive gas. Separate them from all the other knives and if possible remove the scales. There are talented people here who can re-scale them for you. Nice knives.--KV--sitflyer beat me to it.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I have popped the scales off the worst of the two and will try my hand at making replacements. I have lots of suitable handle material.

To anyone who is interested, I started working on the replacement scales. These are made of unstabilized snakewood. Only just started today, but they have a good snug fit, so unless I screw it up they ought to work. And if I do screw it up I have lots of stabilized and natural wood to work with. This just happened to already be precut to a pretty thin slab that obviously requires less material be removed.
DSCN8463s.JPG

To anyone who is interested, I started working on the replacement scales. These are made of unstabilized snakewood. Only just started today, but they have a good snug fit, so unless I screw it up they ought to work. And if I do screw it up I have lots of stabilized and natural wood to work with. This just happened to already be precut to a pretty thin slab that obviously requires less material be removed.
View attachment 938444
Looks good! Those blades are full and the knives will make some good users.--KV

Looking forward to seeing this one completed. Cool collection. The Buck knife you showed earlier was made by Schrade Walden and has the hard to find 1st edition box also.

Hey, looking good!

I meant to tell everyone, I heard back from my father in law a while back that he wanted me to put a hold on liquidating the collection until his son (my brother in law) ha a chance to look everything over and take whatever he wants from the collection. I suspect his interest is in preserving the family heirlooms (i.e. things that were engraved ir otherwise marked as something special for the family). I doubt he'll want most of the knives, but I still have to wait to give him a chance to say. More likely he'll focus on the pocket watches in the collection, several of which have been engraved, and one of which is quite valuable.

In any case, it now appear the first chance we have to let him review the collection will be in November. Failing that, we always meet for Christmas. So bottom line, I won't be able to sell the knives until very late this year.

Back