ever eat a pine tree? Some parts are edible. Or, what strange things you've eaten?

Besides everything else;
water moccassin(cottonmouth - tastes kinda fishy due to diet of snake)
chinchilla

grasshoppers, of course.

snake

frogs (but that's hardly exotic)

ants

crow

magpie

grubs (What's a survival course without grubs?)

dog (Didn't know what was in the stew util half-way back to Santa Ana fron San Carlos)

coon (pretty foul as presented)

Not much now that I think about it.

How do I post after Howard? not much here, groudhog was about the oddest, the Cherokee call the groundhog, "the little bear". I used to have a fancy for Rattlesnake rolled in cornmeal.

I don't know what is edible, but I know that when I was little, I remember eating the needles off a pine tree by our side door. I can't remember the end result. I'm still here and I'm not a zombie, so it couldn't have been that bad.

cognitivefun said:
okay, back to the original question...ever eat a pine tree??

:D

And *what* parts are edible??? :confused:
Squirrel eat the seeds out of the cones... guess you can do that, if your teeth or karda are sharp enough. :D

I'd rather start a fire with the pine, and cook the squirrel on a stick.

Ad Astra :confused:

cognitivefun said:
okay, back to the original question...ever eat a pine tree??

:D

And *what* parts are edible??? :confused:

Pinon nuts are very good. They're sold in stores and are quite expensive. The seeds of other species are also edible but may be small and hard to get.

Pine needles make a tea that is high in vitamin C.

Immature male cones and the inner bark from young twigs can be eaten.

Can't even get close to Howard but here goes

least tasty - Sea Cucumber
strangest - Live fish that had the back half deep fried. Gils and mouth still moving as you eat the back (deep fried) half.

kodiak bear tastes purdy good. specially when they've been stuffin' themselves with salmon.

sometimes you get to eat the bear, sometimes he gets to eat you.

(we didn't eat the bear that killed the two marine guards at the base guard shack - if anyone remembers my story of a while back - too many .45's in it, besides, would have been disrespectful)

Back