Ever get tired of all the "tacticool" nylon?

Hey guys, my goal with the title is not to make anyone upset. All I carry right now is nylon gear. Unfortunately for me, it took about a year in Kenya to find out about Saddleback. My wife and I are just finishing up a year internship here and will be coming home in about 3 weeks. I was browsing the web one day and came across Saddleback and from the moment I saw it I have been in love, if only I knew before making this trip over the big pond! My daily carry system includes a lot of Maxpedition gear and my wallet is even Maxpedition. The bags and wallet have been amazing over the past year, seriously, but they are not what I want to pass to my grandchildren some day. On my budget right now I am looking at a medium bi-fold wallet and some day a bag. I just wanted to post here as an "unofficial" member of the Saddleback club but hopefully that will be remedied soon. Greetings to all you guys and especially Dave and crew from sunny Kenya. -Caleb

I love Saddleback Leather products and I'm working my way to a round satchel and a backpack. But for now my Kriega R30 backpack is working out well for me. The SBL would be more of a luxury item for me but still a functional EDC item. When I can acquire the SBL stuff, great. In the meantime my nylon back pack is just fine.

Last edited:
Saddleback is awesome. I have three Saddleback items. I took an ID wallet all over Asia and India for a year. I've had a medium bifold wallet for two years. Both look pretty new still. The stuff is bombproof. And the belts are the best I've ever had. Just gets better and better with wear.

Yeah, for now I use what I have which is nylon gear. Nothing wrong with it or anything. I just really want to eventually get some SBL!

I don't get the attraction at all. You look like an ass whipping those things out in a store.

SBL isn't for everyone. But for those who like their designs and high quality leather will be very satisfied with SBL.

I'm from Texas and have spent my entire life in the southern or western US, so larger wallets are sort of the norm for me. Literally from the moment I discovered the saddleback passport wallet I had to have it, and from not long after that I've carried it every day. No, sadly, I don't need my passport daily, but it really is an incredible wallet. The biggest difference in a high quality leather product (wallet, bag, belt, etc) over some of the more modern or synthetic materials is the patina. The easiest comparison I could offer is my boots. Are my boots scared and scuffed to hell? Yes. Do they look better because of it? absolutely. For some of us, having possessions that reflect and mirror what we have done with them sort of trumps simple durability. It's durability with character.

I've been looking at the passport wallet and been considering purchasing it. I do carry my passport with me daily in my backpack. Every so often some businesses and offices do ask for two forms of ID and it is nice to have the US passport with me readily available. The SBL passport wallet would be a nice addition to my EDC accessories.

Nylon has its uses, and Maxped allows the modularity that very less packs allow. My EDC bag is a Pygmy Falcon II with a bunch of stuff attached via tac-ties. Leather-based modularity is very difficult to attain, since leather will soften over time. Plus in the cost of one SBL backpack, I can assemble a full gear of Maxped. Haha. Having said that, I also EDC a maxped manpurse/pouch, with a small bi-fold daily with my PFII. Both are quality stuff. Right tool for the job, I'd say. Welcome to the club.

Leather has way more style than nylon ever could.
Nylon bags are cheaper, lighter, durable enough, and have way better organization and expansion capabilities.
The only thing going for leather is style.
To some of us it's worth it.

Back