Ever heard of GSM Outdoors? They just bought Cold steel.

Lynn's been putting out a lot of those videos the last few months, I wonder what the angle is -

Needs more meat boots......

You'd think if they were going to continue having knives made in the same factories, by the same people, in the same countries, to the same standards, they would say so. That would go much further to stop the sky from falling than the lame videos. The fact that they aren't saying that means a lot.
Gotta agree... the GSM video is a joke in my opinion, the first communication since the acquisition is 24 seconds of what's your favorite discontinued CS knife and we might bring it back :rolleyes:

Watched the LT video as well, maybe it's just me but towards the end it looked like he might shed a tear... literally. I've never met the man personally but that did not have the appearance of someone who was happy that he just sold his company and looking forward to retirement.

Lynn's been putting out a lot of those videos the last few months, I wonder what the angle is -

I think it means the sale and new marketing angle that the new company wanted has been in the works for some time now.
Less meat boots and more appeals to lifestyle marketing.

"Remember the good old days? Remember when they'd stab a car door and chop the toes off a meat boot? Those were the days. :) " Bet you didn't think we'd be saying that at the end of 2020. :D

I think it means the sale and new marketing angle that the new company wanted has been in the works for some time now.
Less meat boots and more appeals to lifestyle marketing.

"Remember the good old days? Remember when they'd stab a car door and chop the toes off a meat boot? Those were the days. :) " Bet you didn't think we'd be saying that at the end of 2020. :D
A kinder gentler Cold Steel .

Hey it's the same garage as the motorcycle one, but in color! Also that dude needs to clean up his yard.

Last edited:
Those are all possibilities, however, as it was mentioned here by a couple different folks, if the new owner company already has say, warehouse staff, and admin assistants, and an IT department, etc.; it makes everyone who did those jobs at the purchased company redundant. They would have been laid off in any case. It's just compounded by the fact that the new company is moving operations to a different state altogether, and (speaking absolutely as politely and objectively as I can) if you weren't a designer (Demko) or innovator (LT), then it wouldn't have been worth the financial outlay to move those people to Texas. Why pay thousands moving, say, a warehouse worker to Texas, when you could just hire a local at $19 an hour or whatever it is? No one at Sold Steel was irreplaceable other than AD and LT, which is why they were all let go. So, it absolutely sucks that this happened three weeks before Christmas. However, it was going to happen anyway, and moving into the new year might have brought new tax or cost ramifications the company didn't want to deal with.

You DO bring up a good point about GSM's sale to Gridiron, who knows how that gummed up what might have been a very delicate, well planned transition?

GSM would've been working on the Cold Steel purchase while Sentinel was busy selling GSM to Gridiron. It's very possible the GSM-CS deal was ready to go months back, but the sale of GSM to Gridiron threw a wrench into things in terms of timing, because Sentinel would want to close its deal with Gridiron before letting GSM finish the acquisition of Cold Steel.

GSM M&A Guy: Hey Sentinel Corporate Stooge, just wanted to let you know we've identified an acquisition target and are ready to close the deal.
Sentinel Corporate Stooge: Funny you should mention that, we're actually working on selling you to a new private equity company. Your deal is on hold pending the sale. So sorry.​

GSM would've been working on the Cold Steel purchase while Sentinel was busy selling GSM to Gridiron. It's very possible the GSM-CS deal was ready to go months back, but the sale of GSM to Gridiron threw a wrench into things in terms of timing, because Sentinel would want to close its deal with Gridiron before letting GSM finish the acquisition of Cold Steel.

GSM M&A Guy: Hey Sentinel Corporate Stooge, just wanted to let you know we've identified an acquisition target and are ready to close the deal.
Sentinel Corporate Stooge: Funny you should mention that, we're actually working on selling you to a new private equity company. Your deal is on hold pending the sale. So sorry.​

ktlCIwd.jpg

Thank you......

See, that was not hard to do.....that link should have been brought to the forefront long ago so that all can see first hand whats going on.

Oh, so people theorizing about Cold Steel in this thread are spreading baseless rumors and making wild, unfounded accusations. But people doing the same thing in an unaffiliated facebook group are a bastion of truth and accuracy. Got it.

I sincerely believe, GSM has either been directly in charge for some time, or Lynn was changing direction at their suggestion or knowing it would please them.

That motorcycle video reminds me of the ZT video that came out a while ago and was just... Stupid. Marketing people who have no clue about what they're selling or who they are selling to and just trying to be cool or hip.

Just stop. Show us some knives, show what they can do. Don't talk to me about bonds and other hokey junk. I don't care. I'm an electrician, i drive a Ford focus, I have a toddler who likes sonic the hedgehog and despicable me.

If they keep putting out these types of videos I won't even give them a chance. Nothing worse than tone deaf marketing. At least Lynn showed his products could stand up to nearly anything...his videos were useful.

Back