Ever revert back to budget/value knives?

If it's all relative, then yes. I got up near the $1k/knife range for a while and reverted back to the comfy $500 range of Sebenza's and Striders. I feel like they're built better than a lot of the $1k stuff I had.

Of course, yes ! Both are wallet friendly and excellent knives to boot. I mean, they do the job and you're never sorry to just look at them.
5RLg2N6.jpg

I just bought a ZT 308 from my local Brick & Mortar. Absolutely love it. He also had a Ontario Rat 1 wearing OD Green. After handling it I deemed it awesome as well, and took that home too. It was a budget total of 40 bucks, and the knife is perfect in every way. Best $40 I ever spent on a knife. The only other budget knives I regularly carry is a Cold Steel Large Voyager.

More budget knives... I mean in the 50 $ range... Gorgeous plum wood. So beautiful !
TzOGeNQ.jpg

And, a long time favorite, it's just spot on in every aspect...(turkish walnut scales, wow)
dwGzMeu.jpg

Last edited:
I waited for years for Spyderco to release a certain model, then finally I saw it listed--for $190. Odd Bodkins! That was when I decided that I'm spending way too much dough on knives. Since then, with two exceptions, I've limited my spending to under $50 per knife. To me these are hand tools. I use my hammer way more often than my knife and it costs $42 in today's money. My entire tool belt would cost less to replace than some Benchmade or Spyderco knives. That's my value analysis.

I may have misinterpreted the idea behind the thread, slightly. I still have some budget knives - a few 20ish yr olds...a Kershaw Vapor II, a Boker Gemini, an AG Russell exclusive (Camillus) CUDA EDC, a few Cases and script logo Bucks. I've bought updated/upgraded (SFO) Buck 501s that may/may not be considered "budget" at about twice the cost of a regular 501. I still carry and use these knives; so I don't consider it reverting...but I'm not going out to buy new (or used) $15-$50 knives when I've got so many on hand. Unless of course, I mess up one of my Moras - I'd probably replace those :thumbsup:

I am known to pick up a Rough Ryder slip joint from time to time. I generally like them and to date the cost has been under $15. This practice has slowed down as I have not visited the big knife store in Sevierville TN since last year. Generally speaking I am not looking for budget knives. I only want knives that I might use.

I cooked at the fire station for 23 years. The whole time I used plastic
handled Dexter Russell’s sharpened with a pull thru sharpener. You don’t have to have expensive knives to get the job done. I have ColdSteels, Casexx, Buck and several other inexpensive knives, all good stuff. Problem is I like expensive stuff also. :)

I've definitely took some steps back down, but does a $200 dollar knife count as a budget/value knife. I went up the ladder, finally getting a Sebenza. (One of three I acquired.) The Sebenza was my main carry knife for the better part of seven years, daily heavy use in a warehouse setting. (My sebbie was bought new with BG-42, which is what Chris Reeve used back then.) It was Spyderco that brought me back down. I wasn't particularly pleased with my next two Sebenza's, both S30V. I felt that they were less good at edgeholding than the BG-42 that was my main user. I got a sage 2 from Spyderco and that was the end of my affection for Chris Reeve. In my opinion, the spyderco had 95 percent of the fit and finish, dropped the thumbstuds that I never really cared for, and better steel heat treat than my Sebenzas...and less than half the cost or thereabouts.

I've cycled through several spyderco's as users since then and last year I thinned the herd and am down to less than a dozen folders. The ones I have left either have sentimental value or weren't worth the effort to sell. (Under $50 value) My most valuable knife I own is also the one I carry the most, a Spyderco Chaparral stealth Ti model. I don't work in a warehouse anymore after 25 years of breaking my back. , the chaparral does everything I ask of it. If I need more I carry a fixed blade.

That said, I am looking to buy a couple knives. I owned and sold the Spyderco Tusk. (My fishing and water knife.). I plan to get another salt knife...maybe the spydiechef or Siren. The money for the upcoming Spyderco Pochi is already waiting for it to be released.

I don't see me ever spending four hundred dollars on a knife again, but who knows.

Grizz

I've gone through my expensive knife phase, and arrived alive on the other side. I've had numerous Hinderers, CRK's, Murray Carters, etc. The only "expensive knives" I've kept are a CRK Green Beret, my wife's Olamic fixed blade, and a Busse TGLB. These have a story to them, and are keepsakes. I have fairly recently become a Buck fanboy, great value, enough of a variety, and their warranty is beyond reproach. Spa treatment for $6.90, and $10 to replace a 420HC blade, and $15 to replace S30V, S35VN and higher blades. I guess my Buck 112 Elite Pro Auto is a bit pricey but...why not? I also have a number of Case pocket knives, as well as a nice selection of Alox SAK's. Bought a few Moras to spread around, great value for price. Sitting in a pretty comfortable place right now...

Is going with a cheaper knife really reverting or an advance. We are living during a knife rich period that provides us the ability to explore all sorts of fantastic options. But, let’s face it knives are tools, and ultimately we are looking for the right knife for the task.

The current breed of tactical sharpness is unprecedented. But, if you work in a corporate environment, carrying one of those, is sure to upset the population and challenge your career. There is also no lack of pretty knives out there with all kinds of exotic materials, but if your EDC tends to ride in a pocket full of change, what’s the point of going with exotic materials and finishes.

Sometimes a cheap, durable and easy to maintain knife, just is the best choice. Then again with user experience a lesser knife can go far.

n2s

At the moment I have only one budget knife. It is a Cold Steel pro-lite that i use as a work knife

actually I have no problems with budget knives as user, but most of the time the pleasure of the action is not there....

for me the “budget” for a nice action and fit-finish usually starts in the $50-100 range.

I am seriously considering getting more budget knives in the future.
I have seen a lot of models that are appealing me: Kershaw CQC-6k D2, Civivi Exarch, Spyderco Dragonfly, Spyderco Lightweight Tenacious, GEC #71... so many interesting designs ! :)

i sold most of my knives last years to restart my collection.
At the moment I am rebuilding my collection, starting form the high end, but clearly a lot of options in the budget entry

... I am seriously considering getting more budget knives in the future.
I have seen a lot of models that are appealing me: Kershaw CQC-6k D2, Civivi Exarch, Spyderco Dragonfly, Spyderco Lightweight Tenacious, GEC #71... so many interesting designs ! :) ...

Good budget knives let you carry quality at a bargain. They let you carry without worry. They also let you try out different things without breaking the bank. This really is a nice time for budget knives. Like you, I think the $50-100 range is a good spot on the curve of diminishing return. There are some really nice knives under $50 but it can mean compromises, more frequent sharpening, or doing little mods like chamfering scale edges.

For instance, the Harnds Talisman is like $35. It's amazingly comfortable in hand. The action is remarkable. It locks up solidly and drops shut with a gentle glide. The blade is really nice but it's AUS8. It's better than some other AUS8 I've had. It's definitely better than 8Cr13Mov. It's just not as good as Civivi's 9Cr18Mov. Speaking of...

I've spent a good chunk of this year with either the Civivi Chronic or the Exarch in my pocket. Both are a fantastically convenient size and shape for EDC. I like the blade shape of the Exarch better but at the end of the day, I prefer the regular flipper tab. Big hands and a skinny handle can make using the front flipper slightly awkward. :oops:

A good SA Alox, my Pioneer, is a good all around knife or a Case Sodbuster Jr, or an Opinel. Inexpensive to me is under 50.00. AG Russell pocket knives, between 50 - 75, is the next tier up and still pretty to look at with decent edge holding. Of those my larger slipjoint Cowboy in black Rucarta.

Last edited:
IMG_0228.JPG IMG_0293.JPG IMG_0364.JPG

Ones I am referring to are the SA, the Case Sodbuster Jr, and the AG Russell Gunstock. The others are an extra bonus, although the Puma stockman could be considered mid level user too. I want to try one of the yellow carbon steel Rough Rider knives too.

Last edited:
I am just amazed at how many affordable and awesome knives there are out there ! It's a great time to be a knife aficionado, really. Rejoice !

All the time. I still have all the Benchmades, Spydercos etc that I have ever bought but most days the only knife I have on me is my trusty old Victorinox Spartan :)

All the time. I still have all the Benchmades, Spydercos etc that I have ever bought but most days the only knife I have on me is my trusty old Victorinox Spartan :)
I like the Spartan. Personally I feel it is a great buy and that every member here should try one. I own four. They are my back up and loaner knives.

It is as close to the Pattern 61 Soldier as you can get without shifting to Alox. If you are on a budget it is the way to go.

Last edited:
Back