Ever use one of these?

I've been using one for about 4 years and it's great! Not as heavy duty as the guy that makes them (on this list) designed for knife makers, not as many accessories as some, but a more than acceptable grinder.
Still love it, Lynn

I've had one for a couple of weeks. If I could have afforded a KMG, I would rather have that. But perfectly usable and well made. It's easier to taper a tang on a KMG because the blade will be above the top roller where you can hold it. I have to use a homemade magnet and push stick arrangement on the Coote. But if money is an issue (and it always is :) ) I would still buy the Coote. I've finished 2 knives and have 4 more in process, so I'm not a veteran maker, but I know machinery and the Coote is OK.

I bought a 1.5 hp motor locally, and got a set of 3-step pulleys from Norman Coot. The fast speed works well for rough grinding and you can slow it down for finishing work.

Steve

You might think I'm crazy, but my Craftsman 2x48 is still the one I use the most. I now have a Grizzly and a Bader, but use the Craftsman when I have to get it right. Maybe it's just me. It also has a disc on the side which I couldn't live without.

That 2" width works for you? I've got the 4 x 36, but I have to use some 2" belts from TKS. It kills me everytime! I just *can't* find 4" belts in the grits I need though...

It's 2x42, my mistake. I just looked it up on Craftsman's webpage. It's $200, however, the belts are way overpriced, that's the drawback. Even the platen is good. I was thinking of putting a pyroceram backing on it, but really don't need it.

Nick,

I have the coote with the 10" wheel, small wheel attachment and the 3 step pulley system. This is all I use for a grinder. there are better grinders out there, but you'll pay a bunch more for them too, for the price Mr. Coote makes a darn good grinder. I really like mine. Take a look at my web site, all the knives were ground on the coote.

Good Luck

Bill

Originally posted by D.A. Guertin
That 2" width works for you? I've got the 4 x 36, but I have to use some 2" belts from TKS. It kills me everytime! I just *can't* find 4" belts in the grits I need though...

D. There is a guy on Ebay, Discount Abrasives, that sells a lot of belts. I did a search on "4 x 36" and he has them from 24 to 400 grit. If the link works, look here Ebay

I know people who have bought from him. Hope this helps.

Steve

Well, he's got three less auctions to worry about now. Heh heh, that means I'm back to the grinder when I get them :D

Thanks Steve,

Darryl

and still do, for a pro grade intro 2x72 coote has the best value. i also have a hardcore var, but to get a 2x72 delveired to the door a couple of step pulleys and any 1 hp or larger you can scrouge up, you one the road or under $500.00 rob frinks grinder are a excellent value as well, they were'nt around when i bought my first real grinder. but go with a 2x72 because of the amount of quality belts avalable.

Originally posted by D.A. Guertin
Well, he's got three less auctions to worry about now. Heh heh, that means I'm back to the grinder when I get them :D

Thanks Steve,

Darryl

Let us know how they work. I've been looking at his 2x72s real hard.

Steve

Whit,
You can send either the Griz or the Bader to Alabama if they need some exercise. You could do that for a fellow KFOR soldier??? ;)

Another good source for inexpensive belts on Ebay is Barbkat (I think that's it) good belts at a good price.

I told you I was on a spending spree during the deployment! A lot of good it did me, the shop looks pretty good, but I can still barely make a knife to save my butt!

Back