Ever wish you'd never SEEN a knife magazine?

You HAVE your blades. Excellent blades. PERFECT for what you need.

....................... T H E N ...................................

You open a magazine and see .........ANOTHER....... perfect knife.

Now mind you, it's no more perfect than what you got........but ..... it's NEW.

And "completely different."

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !!!!!!!

I'm contemplating adding TK to Blade and wondering WHY.

It'll only confuse my life.

;)

They have magazines?

Sometimes I do wish I never found these forums when I look at my bank account.

My problem was that I actually believed the "reviews" in the magazines and didn't realize that they pretty much only have goood things to say about any knife that crosses their desks. The first few knifes I bought were all based on great magazine reviews. The only one that really WAS a great knife was the Dozier Arkansas Toothpick. The others I ended up trading away. I would have saved a few $$$ if I had found this forum first and never read a knife magazine.

Ascoe said:
They have magazines?
That way lies madness!! Don't go towards the light!!

Ascoe said:
Sometimes I do wish I never found these forums when I look at my bank account.
I feel the same way about eBay. Coulda paid off my truck for what I've spent there the last few years. :eek:

Ya gotta read BETWEEN the lines. A "great one" is in this month's Tactical Knives. They review a Chinese bowie.

It's a GREAT knife. Now it might not slice or cut, but if you restrict your usage to CHOPPING, it's okay........... IF ..............you don't mind the checkering on the handle that will raise blisters in 3 strokes.

But......... the reviewer DOES SAY.... if it were HIS knife, he would sand off the checkering.

But it's a ............ GREAT ............. bowie.

sorta.

:D

Well...... I´ve never had a knife magazine in my hands.

I can´t find none in ALL nearby bookstores, etc.

SO.... I just wish I had not "accidentally" bumped into BFC and becoming REALLY addicted to THE KNIVES WORLD. :eek:

So.............THANK YOU ALL :D

Jose :)

Lavan said:
Ya gotta read BETWEEN the lines. A "great one" is in this month's Tactical Knives. They review a Chinese bowie.

It's a GREAT knife. Now it might not slice or cut, but if you restrict your usage to CHOPPING, it's okay........... IF ..............you don't mind the checkering on the handle that will raise blisters in 3 strokes.

But......... the reviewer DOES SAY.... if it were HIS knife, he would sand off the checkering.

But it's a ............ GREAT ............. bowie.

sorta.

:D
Sorry to be off topic, but when did you get this one in the mail? Thanks :)

Yea... I see a lot of knives I "need" from magazines :eek:

Mike.....got it on a newsstand.

Sittin here PONDERING sending in the subscription form.

Hoping NOT to, but weakening.

:(

When I go into a book store or newsstand that has NO gun or knife mags, I pick up a whole armload of decorating, cooking, skiing, boating, investing, etc. mags and bop up to the counter and politely ASK where the knife and gun mags are.
When they say they do NOT carry "those sorts" of publications, I set the others on the counter and tell them I am "sorry" they don't cover all my interests and am going where they do.

S o m e t i m e s................. I even remark quite audibly to the wife, "Hey, this place is one of them ANTI CONSTITUTION places! Let's get OUTTA here."

She agrees. It pisses her off to see tools blamed for efficiency.

She shoots VERY well ....... AND ...........thinks knives are....dare I say it?

....."pretty."

Of course, we're in our 60's and we can remember when you could buy ANY magazine at ANY store that sold magazines.

;) :)

In the case of Tactical Knives, I wish I'd never read the magazine, except for Jerry Van Cooks articles, he's pretty entertaining and knowledgeable. Knives Illustrated? Matting for the bird cage IMO. Blade is pretty interesting, but it's like the Xmas Wish catalog that came out when I was a kid, mainly there for me to add to my wantlist, but I do appreciate the articles, especially Ed Fowlers and Kim Breeds. I wish I would have come here before I bought all of those knives I didn't really need, so I could've at least bought a Strider or Sebenza :D. Yeah, I'm serious ;).

Goldtanker said:
I know what you mean. I'm so far gone I can't remember how all this started! :D

I do.

It was when I went to a craft fair with my wife and first met George Tichbourne. Up to that point, I didn't even know that "hand-made" knives existed.

Bought a small skinner from George - and the race was on. Now I'm at a point where several makers always have a good supply of my personal checks on hand - blank and pre-signed. :)

i've been accumilating (sp) knives for about 2.5 years now. haven't spent a lot....maybe $1000 total.

believe it or not, i have never seen much less bought a knife magazine!

nothing against them, just never seem to get around to it

besides, this forum is my knife magazine for me :D

Lavan, why create work for a bookstore clerk who has absolutely no say in the kinds of publications the company sells? Pretty sh!tty thing to do.

Anybody on here have any dealings with a company called the News Center? I've been to the stores in Belair, Ocean City, Eldersburg, White Marsh, Catonsville and I think thats it. They have all types of magazines for all types of people. I get all of my magazines sent to my PO Box, but I still stop in the News Center to get certain magazines. Any stores like this in PA? BTW News Center also has a lot of Hallmark stuff, except for the one in White Marsh.

Marsh Jr. You do things your way. I'll do em mine.

Anything that injures an enemy (in the SLIGHTEST manner) is not only desirable, but necessary.

Your kindness toward clerks, while humanitarian, does NOTHING to correct the intolerable policy.

Why shoot soldiers when you should find a way to get to the general?
Because they're there, that's why.

They are paid to just BE there. And they don't care what they do.

A sad situation, but universally true in our modern politically correct American scenario.

Remember that a clerk replacing books doesn't have time to make sales.

;)

Other then certain columns by bladesmiths, magazines are pretty much a waste of time, IMO.

They spend way too much time on art knives or pretty knives, their articles lack any depth. which doesn't really matter because once you subtract out the ads there maybe 7 pages of material anyway.

Back