Everything Lefties thread

Another lefty here. I have the LH PM2 and LH Military models. I tried using a RH PM2 and couldn't get used to it. In general, I can use RH liner or frame locks. The thing that bugs me the most is occluded Spyderholes/thumb studs to where I can't easily open the knife. I complained about it on Spyderco's forum a while back when most of their new lineup was right handed compression locks and occluded Spyderholes. I've saved a lot of money by not purchasing knives that are not only not friendly to left handed people, they really just aren't usable.

I recently bought a Spyderco Advocate since it was discontinued and on sale. The Spyderhole is usable with my left hand but it took some practice to use it easily. I saw a youtube reviewer complaining about opening it with his right hand and I had to laugh. It's fully accessible and even has a cutout in the scale to make it easier for right hand opening. In contrast, my Manix 2 is fully ambidextrous and much easier to use. The Advocate works fine with the flipper, and I can easily use a right handed frame lock, so I just won't use the Spyderhole much.

Another lefty here. I have the LH PM2 and LH Military models. I tried using a RH PM2 and couldn't get used to it. In general, I can use RH liner or frame locks. The thing that bugs me the most is occluded Spyderholes/thumb studs to where I can't easily open the knife. I complained about it on Spyderco's forum a while back when most of their new lineup was right handed compression locks and occluded Spyderholes. I've saved a lot of money by not purchasing knives that are not only not friendly to left handed people, they really just aren't usable.

I recently bought a Spyderco Advocate since it was discontinued and on sale. The Spyderhole is usable with my left hand but it took some practice to use it easily. I saw a youtube reviewer complaining about opening it with his right hand and I had to laugh. It's fully accessible and even has a cutout in the scale to make it easier for right hand opening. In contrast, my Manix 2 is fully ambidextrous and much easier to use. The Advocate works fine with the flipper, and I can easily use a right handed frame lock, so I just won't use the Spyderhole much.
I'm selling all but one of my right handed pm2's. Once I got a left handed pm2 I just didn't like the left handed one anymore. I can't wait for them to do the para3 In a left handed model. But i think because my taste is changing I probably won't even get one now. Sad they waited so long. Now my money is going to left handed CRK's. And I couldn't be happier. Money well spent.if you haven't tried one I would just say pick one up you won't regret it. I would definitely get a large. The small is a little to small. And go for a inkosi or a umnumzaan. Make the first one special. Then get a 21. Or pick up a plain 21 if money is a issue but definitely try one. I had a right handed CRK a few years ago liked it and sold it to pick up a lefty but couldn't find one. A few years later I joined this forum and within a week I bought two. Now I'm looking at two more and a Mnandi. Also a lefty. Sell a few of your knives and give one a shot. Worst case you don't like it .but you also don't lose any money

I love my CRK's, but I'm too much of a steel snob to give up my PM2's.

And yeah I'm hoping my CRK family spits out a 31 here SOON!
I’m thinking it’ll be the end of the year at the very earliest before we see any 31s. And I think that’s wishful thinking, I’ve been wrong before tho

When I decided to start buying (almost) exclusively lefty/ambi knives I completely skipped CRK. At the time It was just about $1-$200 more for a full custom so that was the route I decided on. Maybe one day I'll pick up a Sebenza, but honestly I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

p.jpeg

When I decided to start buying (almost) exclusively lefty/ambi knives I completely skipped CRK. At the time It was just about $1-$200 more for a full custom so that was the route I decided on. Maybe one day I'll pick up a Sebenza, but honestly I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

p.jpeg
I think that's the beauty of this hobby. We all have our taste. And being left handed and being very limited to what is available to us we can be limited to what's available. I myself love CRK. You live the full custom. Please feel free to share your lovelys with us. I know I would like to see them.

The tub thing is just so you order the correct one. Has nothing to do with the users dominant hand. The plumbing is better off on an inside wall. To prevent freezing.

I’m surprised nobody mentioned that all standard toilets and urinals are set up for a lefty flush.

as far as fixed blade sheaths go. I don’t understand why they aren’t all ambidextrous? Most manufacturers sheaths are garbage anyway. Custom is the way to go. If your not familiar with him already. Look up member Makael here. He does great work.

edit:
came back to say I’m a righty but pretty much ambidextrous.

Last edited:

Agreed; I think everyone loves customs. My comment about CRK was directed to production knives.

The tub thing is just so you order the correct one. Has nothing to do with the users dominant hand. The plumbing is better off on an inside wall. To prevent freezing.

I’m surprised nobody mentioned that all standard toilets and urinals are set up for a lefty flush.

as far as fixed blade sheaths go. I don’t understand why they aren’t all ambidextrous? Most manufacturers sheaths are garbage anyway. Custom is the way to go. If your not familiar with him already. Look up member Makael here. He does great work.

edit:
came back to say I’m a righty but pretty much ambidextrous.

Yeah, I was aware of the tub thing and agree about interior wall plumbing. I think it's interesting that the name is actually opposite of which hand is easier to operate the faucet before getting in, though. Can't help but wonder if the left side flush was an intentional design since most people are right handed. Right hand wipe, left hand flush.:D

I do get the appeal for left handed folding knives and there was a time when I would have loved to have a lefty CRK. I think I've just gotten to a point that I have enough knives where something has to have pretty much every feature I want in a knife to appeal to me. With the lower numbers of left handed sales, they will never make/sell enough of them to have the variety available like knives that are designed to be ambidextrous in the first place.

I think making it an option for a factory custom shop order would be cool. That would solve the issues of determining quantities to produce and avoid making them all in some standard steel and handle color. I personally have no interest in buying a black handled knife in a standard steel just because it's "left handed" if the company makes an upgraded version of it's normal design that has a reversible clip.

Y
Yeah, I was aware of the tub thing and agree about interior wall plumbing. I think it's interesting that the name is actually opposite of which hand is easier to operate the faucet before getting in, though. Can't help but wonder if the left side flush was an intentional design since most people are right handed. Right hand wipe, left hand flush.:D

I do get the appeal for left handed folding knives and there was a time when I would have loved to have a lefty CRK. I think I've just gotten to a point that I have enough knives where something has to have pretty much every feature I want in a knife to appeal to me. With the lower numbers of left handed sales, they will never make/sell enough of them to have the variety available like knives that are designed to be ambidextrous in the first place.

I think making it an option for a factory custom shop order would be cool. That would solve the issues of determining quantities to produce and avoid making them all in some standard steel and handle color. I personally have no interest in buying a black handled knife in a standard steel just because it's "left handed" if the company makes an upgraded version of it's normal design that has a reversible clip.
you can order direct from crk to get a model you like In lefty. Sometimes it’s hard to get the exact configuration you want to pop up at dealers, like the righty’s do, so
I just order direct for the most part. It’s a long wait but I’m willing to wait. I’ve got a left handed large 31 natural micarta with ladder Damascus on order. Not really one you’ll see at dealers very often.

Back