1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Evolution of the Woodsman

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by Fiddleback Outpost, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Fiddleback Outpost

Fiddleback Outpost Fiddleback Forge Knives & Fiddleback Outpost Gear

Apr 29, 2016
    We're getting ready to add a Woodsman to the Outpost site and it struck me as to just how much the model has changed. For me, the Woodsman was my very first Fiddleback knife. I think that Andy was still working in his basement when I got the Woodsman off of him and, when you see it side-by-side with the new Woodsman, it impresses you as to how a good knife has evolved into a great knife. Some photos for y'all, including the sheath that Andy handcrafted for the original:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The steel was a tad thicker on the old model - I mean this is like 0.25":
    [​IMG]

And Andy's sheath....
    [​IMG]

2. catalystman80

catalystman80

May 1, 2013
    Great knife indeed, I believe there was another transition model in between those two as well that more or less had a similar profile handle as the current version but rounder/thicker. Just a great all around knife for bushcrafting, camping, kitchen chores, etc thanks for sharing your story!

3. Odaon

Odaon Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2009
    It had more of a Ladyfinger like handle back then. What a good looking knife! :thumbup:

4. Warrior108

Warrior108 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Very cool post, comparison and history. Thanks for sharing! Is that older one 3/16 or thicker still?

That's exactly what I thought too, specifically the Old School Lady. That's evolution for you :)

5. Southern Gent

Southern Gent Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Those two Woodsmen look great. So when are they going up on the Outpost for sale? [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    i already snagged the OG one

7. Fiddleback Outpost

Apr 29, 2016
  8. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
  9. Nbrackett

Nbrackett Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 19, 2015
    I have the exact match to the Wenge Woodsman and its a beautiful knife. Whoever ends up with it will not be disappointed.

10. Fiddleback Outpost

Apr 29, 2016
    Don't you need two? You have two hands... LOL.

I really like it. At the Outpost, Robert seems to prefer the Duke over the Woodsman, and I may be biased as the Woodsman was my first Fiddleback, but I really love the Woodsman design - its a big knife but feels very balanced and manageable. The Wenge scales just looks awesome too.

- Marc

11. Fiddleback Outpost

Apr 29, 2016
    So, I'll start the bidding for Marc's OG Woodsman at $100...[emoji23]

- Robert

12. Fiddleback Outpost

Apr 29, 2016
    You guys may think he's joking, but he'll do it. I've got to remember not to post pictures of my knives here....

- Marc

13. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006

14. Fiddleback Outpost

Apr 29, 2016
    You know that you're not helping, right? :)

- Marc

15. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    am I the high bidder?

ill send paypal right away

im always on the lookout for older Fiddlebacks:)

16. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    ps

i sent Robert an email already about you probably not being happy:D

17. Fiddleback Outpost

Apr 29, 2016
    Do I hear $310? - Robert

18. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    final offer

19. Fiddleback Outpost

Apr 29, 2016
    Ding, ding, ding. Winner: Vance

- Robert

20. Panthera tigris

Panthera tigris Street Samurai Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 21, 2012
    Where is Tony :)