Evolution of the Woodsman

We're getting ready to add a Woodsman to the Outpost site and it struck me as to just how much the model has changed. For me, the Woodsman was my very first Fiddleback knife. I think that Andy was still working in his basement when I got the Woodsman off of him and, when you see it side-by-side with the new Woodsman, it impresses you as to how a good knife has evolved into a great knife. Some photos for y'all, including the sheath that Andy handcrafted for the original:

1.jpg

2.jpg

The steel was a tad thicker on the old model - I mean this is like 0.25":
3.jpg

And Andy's sheath....
4.jpg

Great knife indeed, I believe there was another transition model in between those two as well that more or less had a similar profile handle as the current version but rounder/thicker. Just a great all around knife for bushcrafting, camping, kitchen chores, etc thanks for sharing your story!

It had more of a Ladyfinger like handle back then. What a good looking knife! :thumbup:

Very cool post, comparison and history. Thanks for sharing! Is that older one 3/16 or thicker still?

It had more of a Ladyfinger like handle back then. What a good looking knife! :thumbup:

That's exactly what I thought too, specifically the Old School Lady. That's evolution for you :)

Those two Woodsmen look great. So when are they going up on the Outpost for sale? [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the exact match to the Wenge Woodsman and its a beautiful knife. Whoever ends up with it will not be disappointed.

I have the exact match to the Wenge Woodsman and its a beautiful knife. Whoever ends up with it will not be disappointed.
Don't you need two? You have two hands... LOL.

I really like it. At the Outpost, Robert seems to prefer the Duke over the Woodsman, and I may be biased as the Woodsman was my first Fiddleback, but I really love the Woodsman design - its a big knife but feels very balanced and manageable. The Wenge scales just looks awesome too.

- Marc

ps

i sent Robert an email already about you probably not being happy:D

Back