1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Excellent 14 Minute Video-- A year in the woods--alone--

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by WILLIAM.M, Apr 20, 2015.

1. WILLIAM.M

WILLIAM.M

Apr 14, 2006
  2. B Griffin

B Griffin Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Right now, mainly my desire for a long break from civilization :)

3. WILLIAM.M

WILLIAM.M

Apr 14, 2006
    Roger That

Hope you watched the video

It's excellent

4. jonnyt16

jonnyt16

Jul 17, 2007
    That was a pretty cool video, thanks for sharing. I like all the household items he made from scratch....fly swatter, coat hanger, dustpan, etc. And his simple but effective system for collecting water. The winter must have been a bit harsh. At least for me it would have been, being that I've lived in warm California climate my whole life so I'm not as cold-weather hardened as some of you guys.

Oh, and the one thing I'd definitely bring is my book, the SAS Survival Handbook by John Lofty Wiseman!

5. WILLIAM.M

WILLIAM.M

Apr 14, 2006
    Thanks for watching it Brother

6. Pfd1980

Pfd1980 Gold Member Gold Member

May 9, 2014
    Wow cool video. Some experience!

7. druid189

druid189

Apr 27, 2008
    I've seen that before but I watched it again. I had forgotten some of the things he showed, like the fish/frog spear and the fly swatter....

Thanks for posting it :thumbup:

8. Andster2

Andster2

Feb 18, 2007
    That was a really cool video. I've always admired ones that are able to get away from civilization for so long. Thank you for posting.

9. WILLIAM.M

WILLIAM.M

Apr 14, 2006
    Glad you all enjoyed it

10. tonym

tonym

Mar 18, 2008
    I had the pleasure of meeting Doug and camping with him twice at the Wilderness Learning Center. He's a really nice guy and extremely knowledgeable. He had a picture album of the year he spent in the woods as well as a few hysterical stories that you won't see in that video. Thanks for sharing the video Dr. Bill!

11. Dave in PA

Dave in PA

Sep 23, 2000
    Thank you for posting this.

12. timw1

timw1 Swamp Yankee Platinum Member

Sep 28, 2011
    I enjoyed the video, thanks!

13. stabman

stabman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Just watched the video; looks like a good time.

Myself, I'd bring a bunch of knives (of course), along with the requisite axe and saw.

I would definitely want lots of insect repellant as well...mosquitos are my arch nemesis.
    Something to write in as well; with the solar panel like he had, that could even be a laptop.

14. WILLIAM.M

WILLIAM.M

Apr 14, 2006
    Glad you all enjoyed it

Dr.Bill