Experiences with SOG knives for bushcraft?

Hi er'rbody! I'm getting started acquiring SOG knives. I dig the company history, design, and pricepoint. Recently I found out that my employer semi-regularly purchases knives from SOG to sell in our showrooms. So I've been using my employee discount to stock up on sharp pointy things.

I started with an Escape to keep in the car, and have since picked up a Backcountry Axe, and, most recently a sweet Pent-Arc. I've been eyeing several of the fixed blade Kikus we have, but what I'm really interested in getting is a knife suitable for bushcraft/firecraft/camping. I really like the looks of the Pillar, but it's not a model that we currently stock (hence no employee discount). And I was wondering what other models do well in medium and heavy duty outdoor usage? The most common fixed blades we get are: seal pup elite, seal team, seal strike, kiku 2001/2021. Occasionally we a tech bowie or a seal force.

Has anyone used any of these for batoning and wood carving? I'd probably also use it for some chopping. Are there other good fixed blades from SOGs current catalog that would be worth considering?

Thanks!

Don't use a SealPup for bushcraft, I've tried it. The serrated part makes both batoning and feather sticking difficult because you can't use the blade nearest the handle for leverage. If you're set on a SOG, get one that most closely resembles a Mora, or just get a Mora.

Used my Mini Pentagon and Government in college for Woodcrafting. The Revolver series works really well. I especially like the Revolver Hunter. Have used my 1st gen tigershark also. Out of all of my current selection of SOG's the NW Ranger 2.0 and Revolver Hunter sees the most use. Thinking about using my Team Leader also. It's my newest. FYI Most of my fixed blade SOGs are discontinued.

Out of the ones you list, the Seal Pup Elite, Sog Force, and Tech Bowie are probably your best options. I prefer a plain edge on my carving knives. For me, woodcraft and fire craft is mostly about carving, with some light chopping and maybe light splitting of kindling in there. That's why I mention those, no serrations. But I can use a serrated blade to split kindling and make feather sticks. Sog Pillar and any of the Bowies will work fine too. Revolver 2.0 Hunt is another good option. It's not a heavy duty knife, please don't baton with it. But if you are carrying an axe/hatchet/hawk with you the Hunt will serve for carving and sawing nicely.

Here are some pictures of my current Sog collection. I have a few at a friends house out of state. Those should be coming home in a few months. Once I get my other Seal Pup in house, I'll probably sharpen out the serrations on one of them. Then it will be one of my Woods bumming knives.

sogs_01_resize.jpg sogs_02_resize.jpg

Back