"EXTRA 5% OFF WHEN YOU BUY 3 OR MORE" of these Schrade knives.

Got to admit the boxes do look nice, certainly a step up from cardboard. Bob did SMKW use the faux gator as well? I know the NKCA used them on the museum knives, and I think it was Big C Sales who used them on the bone old timer set.

Eric

That's the set I was thinking of. Thought they were originally sold through SMKW, but seriously I have no idea of the origin of the cases.

Found a little more info on The Trapper 296Y:

nosf9w.jpg
[/IMG]

Eric

Thanks a bunch, Eric!
I'm still stunned that I was mistaken about this knife all this time.

Thanks a bunch, Eric!
I'm still stunned that I was mistaken about this knife all this time.

SFOs are quite a mixed bag of whodunits. I am seeing a few scrimshaw Sharpfingers now that I am pretty certain had the art added post auction. And several of the SFO Sharpfingers I have acquired were suspect in only having an odd blade etch until I found proof (such as Eric has shown) that they were actually factory special orders.

It's mind boggling how many blade etch sfo's there were. We'll probably be VERY lucky to see a quarter of them in our lifetime.

Eric

It's mind boggling how many blade etch sfo's there were. We'll probably be VERY lucky to see a quarter of them in our lifetime.

Eric
How about a Sharpfinger with a Frito Lays etch? I nabbed the picture for the archives on my home computer. I'll post it when I get back. And all the ones etched for biker events like Sturgis.

I have an Old Timer that was a safe driving award from Leggs pantyhose. :D

I have an Old Timer that was a safe driving award from Leggs pantyhose. :D

Heck, that's nothing. I have an Imperial electric knife with "personal massage" attachments. In pink. And... A Camillus "Nookie Knife". Not everyone has either of those!

....don't you dare show your Imperial electric personal massage knife/attachments again Codger......you have pulled it out and shown it with great gusto a number of times now, and 'ah do declare' I perceived a pubic hair on the attachment the last time you showed it....some things should be kept private IMO....being on the cutting edge is one thing but that sir is another!...lol..Hoo Roo

....don't you dare show your Imperial electric personal massage knife/attachments again Codger......you have pulled it out and shown it with great gusto a number of times now, and 'ah do declare' I perceived a pubic hair on the attachment the last time you showed it....some things should be kept private IMO....being on the cutting edge is one thing but that sir is another!...lol..Hoo Roo

Did I mention that it is a 110 volt appliance? :eek:

I have that exact same shrade walden ny usa muskrat without a model # on any blade, and no shield on the handle. I've been wondering like crazy what the deal is with it. Mine's stainless (I tried to force a patina), is yours?

Last edited:
This practice is so common place and the fact that there are so many "odd" un-cataloged genuine Schrades out there, that one has to be diligent when inspecting and identifying Schrade knives on ebay. Sometimes I can tell that the seller is just ignorant about the knives and sometimes it's apparent that they are dishonest crooks. As far as the authentic or authentic looking boxes go, I once in the past bought a NOS box, (I think), for a blue jigged bone PH2 that I had bought that was minus the box. The knife and sheath is the real deal and the flattened unused box only adds to the package. Is the box the real deal? When trying to decide whether or not Schrade items are real or not I try to investigate the seller as much as possible. Check out their other items, profile and feedback and such. Sometimes that gives you a peak at who the seller is and if there is anything inconsistent with the truth. There is a ton of PH1s and PH2s out there for auction and sale that have black wood handles and original looking boxes and papers. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Schrade never marketed a standard PH with a black wood handle. And while we are talking about it, how can we be sure about the origin of all of the "End of Days" kinves? I have never heard any particulars about factory Schrade parts knives. I have a few of them and like them so much that I would not give them up. But with all of the spare parts knives out there and the deception and ignorance surrounding these knives, I have to wonder. Assembled by factory workers, or, someone with a box of parts they bought? I'm especially curious about the Staglon handled "knockoffs" on the 96ot and 97ot knives. Both of which I own and like very much and will continue to no matter what their origin. Now I have a 194OT that I bought from a little hardware store in a small town in northern California in 2006. This knife has a SC503 stainless blade on it. It was part of some leftovers the store had buried behind the counter. Soon after 2004 I used to search for these "leftovers" in stores and scored alot of standard models that way for closeout prices. I actually have two of these, one I got on ebay without a box and papers. So we know that there are mixed parts knives out there that came from the factory. But where do we draw the line on what is an End of Days knife from the factory and what is not? And then there are a few that I just don't care. It's a nice knife and I want it! Like the 787 Muskrat pattern knife pictured below. There is no model number on it. Blade stamped on one blade blade only, SCHRADE WALDEN over NY USA, in the same script as my authentic Schrades. I know Taylor uses that stamp, but in a different script. I also searched for a Taylor knife like it, before I purchased, and couldn't find one. My conclusion is that it is assembled from purchased Schrade spare parts and adorned with some of the prettest bone I have seen, by a good craftsman. It is so pretty that I bought it, knowing what I was getting and not caring. I am all about original Schrade knives, but this is a nice knife in my mind and I made an exception.

Purchased in a hardware store
194oteod.jpg

194oteod3.jpg

Spare Parts Turned Into Something Pretty
787schradewaldenbone.jpg

787schradewaldenbone4.jpg

This is the same as my shrade muskrat, no model # no shield on it.

This is the same as my shrade muskrat, no model # no shield on it.

The bone handled muskrat in the picture is an unfinished 2004 edition of a Cigar Box Classic. It is missing the shield, serial number and cigar box. Many of these unfinished CBCs are out there. They also came in a 4 1/8" two blade trapper, 3 7/8" single blade trapper (listed but questionable production), 2 blade peanut, and premium stockman.

solteu.jpg

25p679y.jpg

2gud4za.jpg

vyplvr.jpg

Listed on the Schrade website archives but have yet to see a production knife
2iasja0.jpg

More and more interesting. So,the cigar box classics were made right before schrade closed? Have I read that Taylor brands also made some cigarbox releases? What is the steel on my knife? It's jigged bone you say? If it says SCHRADE WALDEN N.Y. U.S.A. can I assume it's a U.S.A. made Schrade? Any info you could give me I would find very interesting as I'm a brand new Schrade collector, I got the bug after buying a U.S.A. 108 in that nice 1095 on Ebay. I believe someone described the Schrade 1095 as addictive and I'd have to agree.

Last edited:
My Dear Old Dad was an engineer, and fifty years ago he told me the best bearings were marked "Made in U.S.A."
So when I started to collect knives in 1973, I looked for the U.S.A. tang stamp.

When it came to Schrade's Cigar Boxes etc., Schrade probable had them made in China, like thy had been doing with their tins and packaging.

In 2003 when Schrade started to have their knives made in China, they were clearly stamped "Schrade - China".

The Schrade Cigar Boxes, proudly have "Hand made in the U.S.A" printed on the outside lid.

Taylor Brands now own the Trade Name "Schrade"; they do not own the U.S.A.

Schrade was working on some special knives in 2003, for production in the latter half of 2004.
Most of the 2003-4 knives I have seen, have a "Schrade+ U.S.A. LTD." tang stamp.

Taylor Brands Cigar Boxes, and knives are not marked U.S.A.
Thy are often advertised as "Hand made since 1904"

This is from last week: Taylor $20 knife sold for $62
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...Old-Timer-any-way-to-verify-where-it-was-made

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, here's a question for everyone.... what's your favourite U.S.A. made Schrade knife? Pictures are good also of course.

Back