Extra Special Thanks to UB and Yangdu

Well, the specials I snagged on Friday and Saturday showed up today; this, even after some early morning hijinks of mine that had me raising Cain with my bank, questioning UB, and generally making a nuisance of myself - simply because I'd given him the wrong expiration date on my credit card. :eek: :rolleyes: Next time I make an A.M. order, I'll have a cup of coffee first.

First - a Karka bilton as a gift to my best friend in the service. When I saw the figure of the horn handle I almost didn't want to give it up. :) It's the most beautiful horn handle I've ever seen and is simply an outstanding piece overall. I can't see how these are sold for as little as they are. Needless to say, as a man who's been saving his money for a khuk, he was pretty thrilled to get this. It's always amusing to see a grown man in uniform with the "kid in a candy store" glazed eyes and bouncing step.

Second - a Kumar Karda as a gift to my best friend out of the service, who's an avid hunter and just happens to be in need of a new knife. Wonderful carving on the handle. It's not my cup of tea but I'd be proud to own something so attractive, even if I had no use for it. I'm glad it'll be going to a good home that'll put it to work.

Third - a 17" Villager WWII for my brother, who wants a khuk but can't decide what kind. It's the first Villager that I've handled. I'd heard that the fit and finish weren't up to the usual HI standards; aside from wood that's a bit duller than usual and has a nick or two, and some very minor grinding marks on the metal, I don't see what the big deal is. It shouldn't take me more than a half hour or so to clean it up. I've got to get myself one of these one day. :)

Fourth - a horn handled Kerambit, for me. :D I'd heard the hype, the price was right, and I couldn't resist. After a bit of experimentation I can see why people praise it for its versatility. Every time I pick it up it seems like I can figure out a new way to hold or carry it. :) A bit of work on the hone ought to have it shaving. Tonight's project is to attach the sheath securely to my LBV; after that, I'm expecting it to get a good workout for some time to come.

Last but not least - 2(!) khuk pins instead of one, and they're of different patterns and metals. I'm running out of things to pin these on! :)

Again, my thanks to UB, Yangdu, and the kamis for making four people very happy this holiday season. My best to you and yours.

Satori said:
Last but not least - 2(!) khuk pins instead of one, and they're of different patterns and metals. I'm running out of things to pin these on! :)

Geez, I just had a terrible thought! I received a khuk pin on my first order, but don't think I have received another since, and I have averaged at least 1 box per week since January. I really hope I haven't been unknowingly tossing them all this time, mixed up in the wrapping paper!? :eek: :eek:

I usually check the packaging pretty well though. Anyone else? Tell me I'm not a complete dork and in my hurry to dispose of the wrapping I haven't been throwing these out for the past year!

Thanks,

Norm

Khuk pins? I've never got one! :eek:

Satori - Sgt Karka horn handles are the best!!

This is the first and only time I've gotten a pin with a DotD - and they sent me two this time. One is the typical brass/copper/bronze one; the other has a different shape and is much lighter. I think it's aluminum.

Norm - I didn't notice a khuk pin in my first website order from HI. (Of course, I wasn't looking for one because I'd never seen one before.) I noticed one in the second, enclosed in an envelope with the guarantee. I'd found it by chance. I still had the box from the first order laying out in the "garbage staging area" so I dug through the newspaper some more and found one in there too. If I hadn't accidently discovered it in the second order I would've never known about either of them.

Come to think of it, some pins may have come with my other specials too...I just didn't find them. :)

Thanks Satori. You confirmed my suspicions that I was probably stupid and may have missed some, but I doubt I could have missed that many, and I do recall it coming in a white envelope. Just wanted to make sure!

Regards,

Norm

I think you only get the pins when you order straight from the website. When you order from the website it comes with both the "guarantee" paper and the pin, I haven't received either when ordering UBBB's.

One strange thing about that guarantee paper: I've always wondered why it was printed on paper that was bordered with dollar signs ($$$$).

Nasty

Chief Cook & Bottle Wash
Don't worry Norm...like you, I've only ever gotten one. Only ever got one guarantee sheet too.

LOL...not that I don't root through *every* scrap in the box *every* time looking anyway...

KM - that had been my suspicion too. I was pretty surprised to find one (well, two) in a UBBB. I was equally surprised to find the aluminum(?) one.

Nasty - I wouldn't know what you're talking about. I never, ever, paw through every scrap of newspaper in the box, and I would never even consider burning the paper afterwards and sifting through the ashes looking for pins. :rolleyes: ;)

I guess this is what people do after they've outgrown Easter egg hunts.

Scratch that, I do have one, but I seem to recall paying $5 for it or something... Whew, didn't want to think I was short on something :D

The guarantee was one of the first things I "designed" when I got a computer maybe 7 or 8 years back and I was experimenting with "borders" and used the dollar sign for lack of something better. It's stayed with us.

Yangdu puts in a little khukuri pin with certain orders based more on a random selection than anything else I can figure. "I'm going to send this guy a pin," she'll say and I just say "fine," since I've learned not to question or argue regarding her actions.

Steely_Gunz

Got the Khukuri fevah
I've clipped my khuk pin to my Harley jacket along with all the other pins my dad had picked up at different ralleys. He passed the jacket on to me when he *ahem* outgrew it;) There must be 8 or 9 pins on it, but I get comments most often on the little brass crossed khuks. It was a very pleasent surprise to find it tucked away with my fabled AK bowie when it arrived;)

Jake

Bill Martino said:
Yangdu puts in a little khukuri pin with certain orders based more on a random selection than anything else I can figure. "I'm going to send this guy a pin," she'll say and I just say "fine," since I've learned not to question or argue regarding her actions.

Smart! After 21 years I have learned the same thing (finally!) about my wife. "Yes Dear!", "OKayfine!", "Sure thing!", keeps everything fine and the Doctor away. (-: At least with my wife, actual male-trait reason is not something that needs to enter into it!

Of course, that's just MY wife. I'm sure Yangdu is always reasonable AND always right. Right? Right!! ;) :D (Hi Yangdu!)

Regards,

Mr. Norbert in St. Louis

Nasty

Chief Cook & Bottle Wash
I've got my wife trained..."Yes Dear" is what she responds to best.

I think some of us just keep ordering knives to see if another pin shows up...maybe it's a strain.

HIKpV...Himalayan Imports Khukri pin Virus

I've got my khukuri pin pinned on something *probably* no other member of BFC has and few have seen.:cool: ;)
It's on the bottom of my "otter drag" that Barb and I made from the raw materials that's part of my regalia for the Southern Style Straight Dance, a traditional ndn dance. Actually a "gentlemen's" dance as it doesn't have all the extreme moves that the Fancy, Grass, and to some extent the Traditional dance have.
The otter hide I bought to make my drag out of was so near perfect, still had its whisker's and eyebrow's, that I sewed some little black shiny beads in for its eyes.
Trouble is that they can't be seen when I'm "dressed out" as it's under the large bandanna that goes around my neck.:rolleyes: :(

If I sell my outfit this spring I'm thinking I will keep my otter drag and have it mounted in a Red Cedar shadow box under glass complete with the Eagle feathers that go on it.
It has always received many compliments every time I danced with it.:D

I need another pin for my ndn cap now.;) ;) ;) ;) ;)