Extrema Ratio

I got a BF1 a good while back (2013), didn't carry it, because the blade was so thick (at the edge). Didn't need a 3" prybar ;).
I had the blade reground to .020" at the shoulder. So, what can I expect from the N690 steel in the way of fine edge sharpness, ease of sharpening, and edge holding. Would it be like AUS8?

they have a couple of good models, the requiem and scout are far from a pry bar, I've noticed they do tend to have heavy grind marks on the edge, a little irksome to stare at but I'm learning to be less nitpicky about things like that,

id suggest looking at their Defender DG, thin profile, fuller, ideal for deep puncture wounds, and sharp edge, just be prepared to pay 200 something for it

N690 is a really good steel. Just not a super steel! It takes a damn good edge, it just doesn't hold as long as stuff out now! That's easily remedied by hitting the strop before you put it away. This was the steel Todd Begg used before he moved onto RWL-34! Says something about it to me anyway!

James

N690 is a really good steel. Just not a super steel! It takes a damn good edge, it just doesn't hold as long as stuff out now! That's easily remedied by hitting the strop before you put it away.

I agree, based on my experience with a few customs and a Spyderco with N690. It reminds me a little of 154CM, which I find to be a great all around steel.

I like N690 fine, but Extrema Ratio knives generally turn me off with their chunky thick blades.

Back