eye protection when forge welding, help

J. Neilson, I bought a automatic shield when I got my mig setup about three years ago. Its a Speedgalss I think, anyway it has disposable protective covers for both the inside and outside of the lens.

There is also this company http://www.oberoncompany.com/OBEnglsh/ImageDid.html

Is there an industrial hygienist in the audience or anybody know one? They may the best bet for good info on this subject, I asked my eye doctor about this last year and he didn't have a clue about what to recommend.

Todd

Hey Todd. The platic plates on either helped, but there was still ruin coming up from the edges of the plates. Even with the gasket but, like I said, that was a few years ago.

J. Neilson : i asked my teacher about the sweat eating away through the photo plate of the electric mask, and he said that with technology these days, it's rare, but still possible, but you would pretty much have to purposely neglect the mask, he also said that some of them now have another clear sheet of plastic over the inside parts of it, so when it scratches it can be replaced cheaply($3-4). hope this answers your question

I dont beleive that the short time you peek into the forge justifies wearing any cumbersome helmet,or face shield(clear is good for flying slag and grinding sparks) I have diyidium flip downs that fit on my prescription glasses. I dont stare into the forge, Its a timing thing, you get used to how long it takes to get to welding heat, The billet should be bubbling and look like butter color, if the first strike doesnt take a weld bacj in it goes for a bit. Ive been forge welding for 10 years no eye problems the flip ups wpork fine i my case. On time on a new forge i made 20"diameter 24"long double mongo burners from ron riels page the forge got so hot it melted the high temp kao wool it was white made a big mess, My eyes itched for a week, I believe it was from radiant exposure bouncing around the room and hiting my eyes from around the lenses.....I got my glasses from a glass blowing supply house...

I'm with Frontier don't stare into the forge.

I do use a #2 shade for welding though makes it easier to see the dark spots.

Back