Eyelets splitting

Bill Siegle

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
So I have been having issues with eyelets splitting lately. I use a set of dies and I’ve inspected the dies and don’t see anything obviously out of sorts. I’ve tried different lengths of eyelets and even different sources of eyelets. Is it possible the dies have simply worn out or could I be missing something? Sure wish I could get back perfectly formed eyelets for my sheaths.

I knew that astrology was to blame!!!!!!!! :D
I’ll definitely try some lube next time. I bet some of the stuff I use for reloading ammo will work :) Thanks for the suggestion!

Car wax, gun lube, white grease ... anything that is easy to wipe the excess off. It only takes a minute amount to lubricate the dies.

I had an issue with splitting eyelets for a pretty good while as well. I was buying the "premium" Siska brand thinking they would roll better, but those were the exact eyelets giving me issues. I switched to the cheaper eyelets from KnifeKits.com (I think they also own holstersmith.com, which I've also purchased from), and I'll bet I only split about 1 out of 50 now.

I've also tried pressing dies from both KnifeKits (their master series) and USAKnifeMaker, and I've seen little to no difference in the results.

A little lube CAN help, but I don't use it every time. I've also noticed that with some of the bags of eyelets that were splitting a lot on me, if I ground the sharp tapered end off (where the roll would start) before I pressed them, they would often roll without splitting. You just have to make sure you have enough material remaining so that the ground edge rolls under, if that makes sense.

I'll add a recommendation for the eyelets from knifekits. I have a set of dies from them and use them in a small arbor press.

I used up my initial supply from knifekits and decided to try some us made eyelets from Amazon and I was splitting 75%+ of them. I tried lube, shortening the eyelets, heat, you name it and they kept splitting.

I ordered some more from knifekits and basically no more splits, even if I just stick an eyelet in the die and smash it.

Well today I finally got around to sheath making :) I did some experiments with deburring the eyelets and lubing the eyelet setter. Both had positive results :) The last try was to use different eyelets. I had a couple small bags from a new source DIY Holsters. They worked perfect with zero splits. I guess they aren’t all the same!!!! Thanks for the help folks!!!!! :D

Last edited:
Back