F Herder A.Sn Solingen

Picked this up today & am mainly finding info on bayonets when I Google. Anyone any info?

IkLVQqG.jpg

1DVtEb9.jpg

What does the blade etching mean?
TTIeSyL.jpg

9WnOPXd.jpg

Thanks.

Last edited:
Herder make excellent Knives - some of their fixed blades etc are incredible.
I have a huge Deersfoot Folder from Herder In great condition- and is extremely well made.
That’s a very cool Scout and love the Herder emblem as the badge.

The Ace of Spades is a good luck sign in German. Herder makes very nice knives. I've not seen a scout like that before; excellent find.

I love the pikas/spades shield.
Seems so obvious now...the tang stamp,the shield, the etch all yell spades.
At first I thought it might be something to do with the Alaskan Pika....a small rabbit like creature...might have been some sort of "lodge"...
Aside from that
Great looking knife ..and looks high quality.
Cheers

What's also excellent is that it's well-worn knife yet cared for, any knife connoisseur would be thrilled to own it. Looks like nicely worn smooth bone, could be stag but the pores suggest otherwise, a quality item in its day for sure, I'd estimate late 50s early 60s.

Picked this up today & am mainly finding info on bayonets when I Google. Anyone any info?

IkLVQqG.jpg

1DVtEb9.jpg

What does the blade etching mean?
TTIeSyL.jpg

9WnOPXd.jpg

Thanks.

That's a fine old knife and Friedr. Herder produced some of the best knives to ever come out of Solingen, Germany.
The blade stamps and markings on your knife are consistent with post WWII Herder knives. Enclosed is a 1950s era catalog illustration showing your model in stag rather than bone as seen on yours.
Also enclosed is a pre WWII salesman sample version of your knife with older blade markings.

View attachment 1115114

View attachment 1115115

Thank you all very much for the replies, & thank you H herder for the information.

It is a lovely knife with a nice firm pull & very little play anywhere, below are some more pics (before it has a gentle clean & oil) as I realise the can opener wasn't open in the first pics.

hNlSnVc.jpg

r8bYxGy.jpg

26xSYTM.jpg

vjgv937.jpg

eqfLDCV.jpg

Last edited:
That's a fine old knife and Friedr. Herder produced some of the best knives to ever come out of Solingen, Germany.
The blade stamps and markings on your knife are consistent with post WWII Herder knives. Enclosed is a 1950s era catalog illustration showing your model in stag rather than bone as seen on yours.
Also enclosed is a pre WWII salesman sample version of your knife with older blade markings.

View attachment 1115114

View attachment 1115115

Great info, as always, my friend, and a wonderful knife :) :thumbsup:

My great great great grandfather was a farmer in Germany back in the 1800s. I often wondered what kind of knife he would have carried 150 years ago.
In my internet travels I came across Herder knives and decided I wanted a sodbuster, reminiscent of something someone like my ancestors would have used working the land in Germany. I recently received this one, it is smaller but the handles are so thick it feels like an Opinel, almost barrel-like in the hand.
The kitchen knife is a Herder as well. Not sure about it's age, according to the seller it is vintage New Old Stock, but I take the description on popular auction sites with a grain of salt.
full

full

full

Really cool knives, in one pic it showed moving to a new HQ, are they still making things today?

Wonderful F. Herder salesman sample knives. Those all appear to be pre WWII examples. While some people would call that pearl handle folder a "Bartender's" knife, it actually is not. The Germans, especially with older knives, put corkscrews on a great many of their folding knives. That particular pearl model was not made after WWII, and it is shown in a catalog illustration from c. 1928. The camper models shown were offered by F. Herder from the 1920s up through at least the 1960s. By the late 1930s, Herder started putting the "Spade" shield on most of their camper models. I would bet that those three knives all fall into the 1930s era.

View attachment 1283894

Back