1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fabulous old Henckel's chef's knife...

Discussion in 'Kitchen Cutlery & Tools' started by gben, Mar 9, 2018.

1. gben

gben

Nov 26, 2014
    I love this old 15-inch, 38-centimeter, Henckel's Chef's knife. Forged masterfully from one-piece of wonderful steel. A nice finger-guard/stop is forged into the middle, then the steel is tapered to the end of the handle, and to a paper-thinness to the tip of the blade. I can bend the tip of the blade ninety-degrees to either side and it just springs right back to straight. I am guessing this is a pre-WWI knife, because Henckel had other awards later than 1904 which are not listed on the blade. So not only is it a tool for the artist in the kitchen to use, it is a tool made by artists!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hughd and FOG2 like this.
  2. darth_cholo

darth_cholo

Mar 29, 2010
    Wow. Don't know anything about antiques. Do you restore something that old or leave it in it's condition you found?

3. John A. Larsen

John A. Larsen

Jan 15, 2001
    What I did with an older Dexter 9-inch chef's knife when I got it, was to first go all over it with 0000 steel wool and Isopropyl alcohol. The wash it, let it dry and hit the wooden scales with Flaxseed oil, which is edible Linseed oil. Yours looks to have some gunk down between the scales and the tang, that I would take out with a tooth pick, or a dental tool, then fill the gap with Super Glue, then use the Flaxseed Oil on the wood scales, and use the knife. Nice that you have such an old, but well made knife. John

4. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Now that's a knife !
    Thank you for educating me. :)