1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Off Topic Faith

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by MikeH, Jun 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeH

MikeH

Oct 18, 2001
    I was in a writing mood. If you chose to read it, that's on you.

It was mid-August 1960, 10:30 at night, and I stood on the sandy bank at the west end of the dam for Johnnie B. Harper's farm pond. I was a huge 14 year old boy in ragged jeans rolled up to the knees. I was staring down at the two feet wide sliver of dark water between the two half-flooded homemade wooden fishing scows pulled up on the bank, thinking of the many times I had fished there and had seen one or more Water Moccasins come slithering from under those boats when they were moved. I knew I had to wade in between them, barefooted and bare legged.

My mother had finally convinced me that it was time, so at the country church revival in the old Macedonia Christian Church building which had never seen a trace of air conditioning beyond the free wooden handled cardboard fans provided by the local funeral home whose ad was printed on the back, I went forward and confessed. She later said that it was undoubtedly the worst sermon she had ever heard, but my mind was already made up anyway. After the service the immediate need was to get me baptized, so off we went about 150 yards down the road to the pond. The only wadable access was at that spot, between those two old boats.

We had a new preacher, who was a young, single Yankee who may or may not have ever even seen a Water Moccasin, but he certainly didn't hesitate to peel off his shoes and socks and walk in, and now it was my turn. Hey, I had turned everything else over to the Lord, so I couldn't back off from this, especially with all my friends and neighbors looking on.

In I went. I didn't get snake bitten, a minor miracle in itself. The immersion was accomplished with some difficulty as I weighed a lot more than the preacher did. The small group sang "Now I Belong to Jesus", which even to this day seems to be the mandatory hymn for these occasions in rural southern churches.

That was 59 years ago. In the years since I have encountered a lot of figuratively "snake" filled situations, been bitten quite a few times, but with the Lord's help, never fatally.

papercutter, KamSingh, LMT66 and 14 others like this.
  2. PABladeGuy

PABladeGuy Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I thoroughly enjoyed your writing.
    You write well, very well. It's nearly a lost art/skill nowadays.
    Trust the Lord in all things... He leads and I shall follow.

hydeinmind and MacLaren1 like this.
  3. CrazyCracker666

CrazyCracker666 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2019
    Whew good thing I'm a atheist. Saved me a ton of reading.

4. Will York

Will York Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Mike, I’m glad this is where you choose to record your musings.

Busto, Cobalt and MacLaren1 like this.
  5. MacLaren1

MacLaren1

May 15, 2014
    Amen MikeH.

Cobalt likes this.
  6. XtianAus

XtianAus Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2016
    It's encouraging to see other Christian's on this forum. Thanks for sharing

Hard Knocks, MacLaren1 and Cobalt like this.
  7. DamascusBowie

DamascusBowie

Sep 20, 2016
    Got to know a snake's cunning if we are to be harmless as doves.

hydeinmind and MacLaren1 like this.
  8. UNRL Ghandi

UNRL Ghandi Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 24, 2013
    Great story! My wife and I got baptized together right before we got married some fifteen years ago last month. Wasn't in water moccasin infested pond water, but it was in some orange, coal mine polluted, sulfur smelling rural country water and coming out of that baptismal tub smelling like rotten eggs I never felt cleaner.

9. MacLaren1

MacLaren1

May 15, 2014
    Amen.

10. Stump Buster

Stump Buster Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Enjoyed that, Thank You Sir!

11. littlehoot

littlehoot Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 7, 2015
    Many an "old timer" in rural Alabama was baptized thusly, in pond, lake, river, or creek water.

12. bubbaskyjacker

bubbaskyjacker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Atheists have to have just as much or more pure faith that nothing beyond this life exits than religious folks believing in their religion o_O

:eek:

13. cabdmd

cabdmd Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 17, 2010
    I always loved this illustration of God’s sovereignty and amazing grace.

Dr. Harry Ironside gave the illustration of the sinner coming to the door of salvation (John 10:9). "Above the door was a sign which says, 'Whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely' (Rev. 22:17). The sinner responds to this gracious invitation, trusts Christ and he is gloriously saved. He now turns around and looks at the door through which he had just entered. He sees above the door another sign which says, 'Chosen...in Him before the foundation of the world' (Eph. 1:4).

Heb412 likes this.
  14. JACKMANDU

JACKMANDU Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 10, 2019
    F87C4221-D206-4E17-880D-BEB84E662D63.jpeg

15. cabdmd

cabdmd Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 17, 2010
    But their belief is in a lie

16. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    Not a true statement.

Zieg

17. duramax

duramax KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 29, 2012
    Very nice write up MikeH, yes I read the whole thing :)

Hey,,,,,,,, how’s that recent rifle purchase doing ? I hope you’ve had some time enjoying it :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.