Fake bugout

Hey everyone, purchased a bugout from ebay from an "authorized dealer" and i believe it is a fake. Action was extremely gritty, very sticky lock, and the most interesting thing was that it came with a 2014 use and care manual, the bugout started shipping in 2017.

Our friends from overseas got the fake Bugouts into production within a few months of the Benchmade ones hitting the streets. Some of them are very authentic-looking, and I doubt that you could tell without maybe a micrometer or a metallurgical test.

S Silverdog , I was doing some snooping. Is your pocket clip held on by two screws, or three?

Last edited:
Sure I’ll send some pics but to answer your question it’s held on by 2. It feels to be a different material than the bailout pocket clip, legit from gpk. This thing looks like the real deal, the scales look identical, the blade looks pretty good itself, the thing I noticed was the very dirty action, throw some oil in and than the tang turns black, machining looks like bailout but feels different, the box is identical and the only dead giveaway is the guide. Everyone rated seller highly so I was curious if he was legit, he’s not. Posting pics.

bailout that was made in 2019 has a 2019 manual. Volli from 2018 has a 2018 i believe don't have box, same with 556-1, it seems unlikely that they would put a 2014 in with a bugout that was made in 2019. Reason I checked was something just didn't feel right about it. I was breaking down boxes with it yesterday and something just didnt feel right with it.

bailout that was made in 2019 has a 2019 manual. Volli from 2018 has a 2018, it seems unlikely that they would put a 2014 in with a bugout that was made in 2019. Reason I checked was something just didn't feel right about it. I was breaking down boxes with it yesterday and something just didnt feel right with it.
Cool, just being my usual pragmatic self.
When you get the pictures of the knife posted, that should clear things up.

Exactly why I won't buy a knife from the Bay.

There are so many reputable dealers out there, why even take a chance?

I was curious, ebays buyer protection is pretty great, a buddy of mine got a legit benchmade on ebay, its actually legit, sent it to benchmade to replace blade he snapped, got a hell of a deal.

So has anyone reviewed the knife images is this legit or fake? I would say if bought off ebay the 2014 guide could be a mix up with the guide from another knife particularly if the knife was not new and the owner has multiple BM knives.

Knife was bought as new, and sticky and gritty as hell so I'm leaning toward it being new but as for if it is legit or fake, no idea. I have a bailout, no stick, perfect lock vs this, if this is real, bugout qc is real lax, if it is fake, than Chinese machining is real lax. If it makes any difference, the screws were working themselves out after using for a few boxes, had the pivot screw fly out after opening, I've never seen that before, especially not on a benchmade.

Back