1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Fake C81GP2 Para 2

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by GatorFlash1, Aug 14, 2019.

1. GatorFlash1

GatorFlash1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2012
    Yesterday I posted a question about a para 2 that I thought might be a clone, and it was. Several people asked me to post pictures of it. The following pictures of the black scales Para 2 are the ones of the fake. The pictures of the brown Para 2 are the real deal. I can now easily tell the difference between the two and hope this might help others from getting stiffed like I was. Thanks to all for the advice and counsel.

no notch on liner on the black fake

[​IMG]

lock differences on the black fake

[​IMG]

Jimping differences on the black fake

[​IMG]

What the real brown Para 2 looks like on liner, the lock, and the jimping

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  2. somber

somber Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 9, 2009
    We should rename this thread "A Guide to Making a Better Fake"

3. GatorFlash1

May 28, 2012
    Hopefully this knowledge will help someone else from getting cheated like I was. I wish there was more like it.

4. sixplymaple

sixplymaple Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 3, 2018
    This stuff is important. It does suck though, sometimes important info like this gets lost in the cracks of bladeforums lol.

nephron likes this.
  5. yablanowitz

yablanowitz

Apr 14, 2006
    Like he said, nothing like telling the counterfeiters exactly how we are spotting their fakes so they can correct their mistakes and make them even harder to spot.

kreisler, sixplymaple and trevitrace like this.
  6. sixplymaple

Aug 3, 2018
    BTW SCREW CHINA!

nephron likes this.
  7. nephron

nephron Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2017
    WOW! I don't think I would have caught it, still learning this fake crap, I gotta look at my others now.
    Thanks!

8. fatsubie

fatsubie Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 6, 2014
    First-time buyers should buy from reputable dealers.

9. somber

somber Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Conversely, you might even help more people get cheated! Good work OP!

Buy from a reputable dealer.

nephron likes this.
  10. Spydergirl88

Spydergirl88

Dec 3, 2015
    Pretty sure the counterfeiters buy an actual pm2 and work from there... Doubt they are on bladeforums but you never know

11. sixplymaple

Aug 3, 2018
    /\ Yeah clearly they use real ones and possibly real, stolen CNC machine programs in some cases. Also, I doubt they would understand English lol.

12. GatorFlash1

May 28, 2012
    I'm not a first time buyer. I have tried to only buy from dealers or users with good feedback and have generally been successful. This PM 2 is the first time in many years that I have encountered this problem. This is the only knife of my PM collection that was a fake.

The Blade Forums link to fraudulent knives is very long and was not very helpful. The info on You Tube videos about how to spot fakes was also not very helpful because you really almost need a magnifying glass to see the high points. I know because the fake link and the You Tube videos was where I went before posting this problem on the Spyderco section of BF.

I generally do not disassemble my knives because I have read many posts about problems with reassembly and don't want to ding up a new knife.

I thank everyone for their input and help. I wish we had something like this for all popular knives. I don't think most knife owners have the time to dwell into the depths of fake knives. That is why I try to buy only from known reputable dealers and highly recommended sellers on websites like BF.

13. bikerector

bikerector Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Holy heck people, victim blaming? So disappointed in some BF members right now. Time to expand my ignore list.

OP, thank you for sharing. I don't know that I could identify the differences in pictures, as they look pretty subtle. What made you think it was a clone? I have to imagine it would just have felt different in hand or something?

willc, kreole and nephron like this.
  14. GatorFlash1

May 28, 2012
    It is okay, I believe everyone who posted is on the same track of how to stop fake knives from being sold.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019 at 11:02 AM
    nephron likes this.
  15. yablanowitz

yablanowitz

Apr 14, 2006
    While I was on vacation earlier this year, I watched a man (whose ethnic background shall remain unmentioned) walking around in a brick and mortar knife store with an iPad, sending pictures to, and I quote, his friend in China.