Fake Ontario Rat - 1?

Do we really need a mod to come in and stop people from scaring off a new member? Guys, you were new and didn't know any better at one point too. If most of us got this kind of reception when we joined, we wouldn't be here. It doesn't look like he knew he was buying a fake, it looks like he just bought what was cheapest not knowing the counterfeiting ordeal. Mistakes happen, and people have to learn somehow, but burning them at the stake for a small mistake is how you make the community toxic and nonexpanding.

OP, I am sorry you bought a fake knife, I have nearly bought a few fakes myself before I lucked out and found a minor detail that revealed it. Sadly, since there is money to be made in knives they are counterfeited. This is why you always want to buy from a reputable source, like any of the dealers that support this site. Nearly all of the members participating in the exchange here are upstanding. Don't let the vocal salty minority color your opinion of the site as a whole, some people just take the topic of counterfeit knives WAY too personally.

Well said, in all your posts within this thread dkb45. I'm just being a smarty pants, I've got nothing against Goldenlight, if he takes offense, then I am sorry, and I apologize.

Nope. He knowingly bought a fake. This is what you get when you buy a fake. Common sense will tell you when you are buying a fake. Half off? That is a fake. Lesson hopefully learned not just for him but for other new members. Don't buy fakes.

P.S. legit Aus8 will rust. Older sogs were the more rust resistant aus6. In this case the knife was made of pot metal so it rusting is not an issue. Only buy from reputable sources. Don't buy fakes.

You guys could be a little less harsh to the new guy. If I had none of the knowledge I had now, and just saw a knife available from two places, one of them half the cost, I would likely buy from the cheaper place. Sadly, you absolutely bought a counterfeit. The real RAT-1 is a great knife, albeit large. It is worth every bit, and if you can find a D2 version (just a few bucks more) it gives an even better value.

This is an unfortunate lesson in the laws of too good to be true. There are phenomenal deals to be had out there, I bought a nearly $400 Benchmade Infidel for $100 (and it's actually legit!), but when you are on a website selling new products you are very unlikely to get a deal like that unless there is some kind of special inventory clearance, the products are fake, or they came from Bob's fell off a truck store. For user knives buying off the exchange here and paying via money order or PayPal goods and services give you almost no risk (scam via money order is a felony, and PayPal protects buyers) gives you the best chances of killer deals, and you get to buy pre inspected knives!

This.

OP, I have even seen fake (objectively fake based on color and screws) Chinese RATs (shipped here in the US though) sold for pretty much same price as the original. So anything less is almost certainly always a fake. Sorry this happened though. The good knives coming out of China are the higher end Chinese companies or the models US companies specifically move to China, etc.

Like dkb45 says, there are a number of deals to be had, but it can take awhile to sift through. Even I can be taken in by too good to be true at times, and I only buy my knives on the secondary market, never direct.

maybe people think fakes are exactly the same thing... but dont realize they are not. not in the slightest, even for knives that are cheap already. maybe they think that because its also made in china that it has to be the same as the original.

i hear people say this, i find it infuriating. especially youtube channels who say its the same thing and its so great these clones. lol

maybe people think fakes are exactly the same thing... but dont realize they are not. not in the slightest, even for knives that are cheap already. maybe they think that because its also made in china that it has to be the same as the original.

i hear people say this, i find it infuriating. especially youtube channels who say its the same thing and its so great these clones. lol

I think people need to do a bit more research, but I DO think it is possible some newer members of the community look before leaping and legitimately think they found an authentic deal. Again, sure, no reason or excuse to buy clones, but some who don't know the history of the industry and how it is working now genuinely may not know how prolific the clones are.

The real knife is made in a completely different country. If you buy a Taiwanese knife shipped from China you get a fake. No excuses.

Nope. He knowingly bought a fake. This is what you get when you buy a fake. Common sense will tell you when you are buying a fake. Half off? That is a fake. Lesson hopefully learned not just for him but for other new members. Don't buy fakes.

P.S. legit Aus8 will rust. Older sogs were the more rust resistant aus6. In this case the knife was made of pot metal so it rusting is not an issue. Only buy from reputable sources. Don't buy fakes.

Craytab, take a bloody chill pill. The OP has been here a few months and barely has a few dozen posts. If he was a long time member then sure, get him, but he has been here for less than half a year. Most of us were naive when we were new. He hasn't been around and been active enough to be expected to know better, so just because you know better doesn't give you rights to berate him for not knowing. He didn't poop in your punch bowl, so don't treat him like he did.

Craytab, take a bloody chill pill. The OP has been here a few months and barely has a few dozen posts. If he was a long time member then sure, get him, but he has been here for less than half a year. Most of us were naive when we were new. He hasn't been around and been active enough to be expected to know better, so just because you know better doesn't give you rights to berate him for not knowing. He didn't poop in your punch bowl, so don't treat him like he did.

And now he learns, though it seems like he already knew.

So I decided to buy one from China, because they cost half as much as the one from the USA, After the usual 3 to 4 week wait, it showed up today.

You do that and you get exactly what you paid for. And if you come on blade forums and want to complain about it? You are going to hear exactly what you did wrong. Sorry if the truth is upsetting to some.

Guys, you were new and didn't know any better at one point too.

I don't know, man. I'm a noob here too. I have never -- not once -- thought to myself, "let me get the cheap one from China." Is there any possible circumstance where the cheap one from China is not a knock-off? I wouldn't buy Chinese food from China if it was being offered at half price. It doesn't matter what it is, it's obviously a knock-off.

Yup, this.

This thread needs to be about edge-ucating (see what I did there?) against clones and counterfeits, not passing judgement on what we think the state of mind of the OP was while attempting to save money.

This thread needs to be about edge-ucating (see what I did there?) against clones and counterfeits, not passing judgement on what we think the state of mind of the OP was while attempting to save money.

I resent your implication. We are all armchair psychologists here. :D

I do start to see cray's point in all seriousness though. But given the OP's new-ness I still want to cut him some slack. Doubt he'll do this again.

I don't know, man. I'm a noob here too. I have never -- not once -- thought to myself, "let me get the cheap one from China." Is there any possible circumstance where the cheap one from China is not a knock-off? I wouldn't buy Chinese food from China if it was being offered at half price. It doesn't matter what it is, it's obviously a knock-off.

To be fair, I would highly doubt the freshness of food ordered from China versus buying at your local Chinese place.

I'm sure that Mexican food from Guadalajara is fake too...although less than half the price...

I'm not going to tell OP that he did a dumb thing. It's clear from his post that he knows it.

And yeah, buddy, you got a fake, but you were going to strip wire with it in the first place and it only cost you thirteen bucks. You have no cause to gripe.

Also: Taiwan is the Republic of China, not the People's Republic of China. I'm not going to argue politics or manufacturing quality, but there is a huge, 70-year-old difference.

Back