fake small Sebenza

u812

Gold Member
Was anyone else up this morning about 4 am and see the CCN show.
They had a 22 pc knife deal that had a exact copy of a sm Sebenza in it.
I called and asked who made them and they said Frost.After them trying to get me to give them my address I said I didn't want to order it I just wanted to know who made them so I could let CRK know that they are being ripped off to which the person said they could care less.
Here is a link to the assortment,I could not find a pic.
CCN-505
http://www.cutlerycorner.net/productsearch_results.asp

Frost is notorious for ripping off designs, so it comes as no surprise. They're not the only ones ripping off CRK. Check out this folder by V-Tech called the Titan-X. It's not a framelock, but the overall appearance looks quite familiar.

knife_vt13100.jpg

:barf:

Frost Cutlery and TV knife purveyors are (unfortunately) dirt bags made for one another. :mad: :mad:

I believe it must be very difficult to stop this type of visual rip off. Unless you have a patent on an actual part or design, the rest is just visual. Visual likeness is very tough to fight. Of course if you illegally use another manufacturer's name on the blade (as I found in Smokey Mountains catalog, with a TOPS logo on a non-Tops knife), you are on legal "thin ice".

Visual likeness is not illegal...
Even identical likenesses are not illegal barring some patentable or copyrightable unique design.
Look at the dozens of Rolex Submariner clones that exist in full view of the market.
Logos and trademarks, however, are.

That thing pictured above ain't fit for scraping barnacles. Looks like something my kids built, with those big-honkin' Frankenstein bolts. Someone oughtta be ashamed, be it the manufacturer or anyone who sells it.

:(

Professor.

^ probably true ^ I doubt anyone who would even consider spending $345 on a knife would be fooled by such an obvious fake. But on the other hand do these knock off companys not have even one person who can come up with a design on their own? If not I pity them for not having any creativity at all.

will22 said:
^ probably true ^ I doubt anyone who would even consider spending $345 on a knife would be fooled by such an obvious fake. But on the other hand do these knock off companys not have even one person who can come up with a design on their own? If not I pity them for not having any creativity at all.

I don;t think creativity is what is lacking. They are making crappy knives with poor materials to sell cheaply. Would innovative design help them? No, the only question is whether some aspect of (for example) the Sebenza is patented and whether or not CR is willing to spend the money to enforce that patent. Those are two requirements to keep someone from copying your product. If they don't copy trademarks or copyrights--- and if there is no patent proteection they likely do have a right to make an exact copy. And frankly the Sebenza copy is probably less harmful than some of the others with the razor thin aluminum liners and wobbly blades

Back