1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Fall Creek Knives - Urge by Shannon Carter

Discussion in 'Knife Reviews & Testing' started by DAVE_M, Feb 26, 2015.

1. DAVE_M

DAVE_M

Jun 16, 2010
    Fall Creek Knives Urge by Shannon Carter (A bladeforums member here)

I found out about Shannon, and this knife, when I was browsing the for sale section one day.
    Shannon had sold out of the batch and I asked if he would be willing to make me one. Shannon was more than happy to and I'm glad he did!
    Here's the thread if anyone is interested: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...y-Sale-5-Urge-Knives!!-**-ALL-SOLD-THANKS!-**

Here's some spec's I pulled from Shannon's F/S Thread:
    3/16" CPM S35VN, stonewashed finish
    Cryo treated in liquid nitrogen
    6 1/2" OAL
    3" blade
    3 7/8" handle

So needless to say, I like this knife, a lot. It meets every criteria I want in an EDC knife. Now on to the prelim review:

Shannon's packaging is classy and perfect. No overly expensive baggies or pelican cases.
    It came shipped in heavy paper tied with a 550 cord "ribbon" with his logo on some nice cardstock.
    *Pictured with my trusty Office EDC Griptilian*

[​IMG]

Inside the wrap was this hell beast of an EDC, snuggled up in it's Storm Gray Kydex pants.
    The fact that Shannon includes a sheath is awesome! It sweetens the deal when the sheath is for IWB carry!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now obviously, I haven't done any EDC tasks yet, I just got the thing! :foot:
    But, I'll leave you fellas with this photo of the IWB carry and reserve the next post for an in-depth review.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  2. DAVE_M

DAVE_M

Jun 16, 2010
    Here is a size comparison with some other EDC items of mine (Field Notes booklet & Fisher Bullet Space Pen):

[​IMG]

I had the chance to carry it around yesterday evening and I'm impressed. The handles are made of contoured G10 and fairly slick. However, the contouring and handle shape work well with the smooth G10 scales. Although beefy and hefty, this knife is very comfortable to hold in nearly all positions. I toyed with the idea of a straight draw reverse grip and it worked well, but I prefer cross draw belt carry, so I'll be whipping up a sheath of my own soon. That's not to put down on Shannon's sheath, the fit and finish on this kydex sheath are top notch and easily on par with the best of the best!

AIWB Carry and Reverse Grip

[​IMG][​IMG]

Now, I have rather large hands, with long alien fingers, and this knife fits comfortably in a relaxed grip with my pinky slightly off.

[​IMG][​IMG]

It also feels very comfortable with a choked up grip and a full hand in contact, and working with a pointed grip for fine detailing.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  3. hawaiianhawk

hawaiianhawk

Dec 25, 2009
    That's chunky. I like the looks of that a lot. And you can't go wrong with S35VN. Very nice.

4. Rockywolf

Rockywolf Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 16, 2005
    I like it too. Looking forward to some in use testing. Especially interested in how you feel about the short handle with extended use.

5. DAVE_M

DAVE_M

Jun 16, 2010
    I'm very excited about using this blade, although I haven't had to yet :eek:

I just got back from the office and whipped up a new sheath. The weather is fairly nice outside and the warm toaster oven full of kydex makes it nice in the shop lol.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Rockywolf

Rockywolf Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Nice work! I'm Going to look forward to your follow ups here.

7. DAVE_M

DAVE_M

Jun 16, 2010
    So far so good.

The first feeling you get is that the blade will be cumbersome in either sheath. However, that's not the case. I've been carrying since it arrived last Thursday and have hardly noticed the weight when using a quality belt (1.5" Ares Gear Ranger Belt to be exact). It stayed on my belt, front left in the cross draw sheath that I made, while I did some yard work yesterday. I didn't get to use it, though. My spade did all the hard work! :D When I came inside, I had the opportunity to do some EDC tasks. Nothing overly strenuous, just some junk mail and cardboard boxes to eliminate. The edge is surprisingly sharp for what I would deem a utility edge. It will pop hairs off your arm without an issue, but struggles at slicing due to the blade thickness (but we already knew that :foot:). I'm eager to get outside again, when it dries up, and do some woodwork. I believe the thick blade will be just fine for smaller wood splitting tasks.

8. B Griffin

B Griffin Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Nice review. Thanks for sharing! Good looking little knife. I much prefer small fixed blades to folders and I love CPM S35VN.