Fallkniven Northen Light series

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by 9.3x62, Jun 20, 2020.

1. 9.3x62

9.3x62

Jun 19, 2020
    First let me say, im sorry for any misspellings and or grammatical errors.
    English is not my first language.

Lately, i have done some really good business. Got a little money left for some luxory to add some gold touch in life.

Since enjoy knifes i was thinking i should get a good looking yet usable one that can take some beating.

Im looking at Fallkniven Nl3. Does anybody own one or another in the Northen Light series?

Do they hold up for some good hard usage?

Now, i own a H1 and a S1x, and i used to have a F1, no problem there, but the Northen Light series does look a little more delicate..

Also, ive noticed that the new cobalt steel is a little easier to sharpen and holds a good egde a little longer than vg10, but vg10 is good enough.

Are there any pictures available of a disassembled one? How thick is the tang?
    I know its a broad tang, but really, there is a lot there can be going on between a rat tail and a full tang..

Kind regards

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  2. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    which country are you in?... for the price of a nl3 you could get a custom made which should look much more fancy (if that's what you like)

fallkniven makes good knives that should stand up to hard use, but they're also quite high on pricing in my opinion

Smiling and 9.3x62 like this.
  3. 9.3x62

9.3x62

Jun 19, 2020
    Sweden. True, i could get a custom. But i wont.

Also, i dont need another one either.
    We will se what happens in the near future.

4. jfk1110

jfk1110 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 9, 2013
    The Northern lights series will handle just about anything you will need it for! Ox leather handles are fantastic and develop a nice patina from use! I'd say, if that's what you want then have at it! Fallkniven has been around 25+years, so they are doing something right!!
    I love mine volcano and juni! IMG_20200621_091332.jpg

d762nato and 9.3x62 like this.
  5. Mikael W

Mikael W Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Here's the smaller NL4 tang.

Tang-NL4.jpg

Great knives!

Regards
    Mikael

d762nato, 9.3x62, jfk1110 and 2 others like this.
  6. 9.3x62

9.3x62

Jun 19, 2020
    Nice. Thank you.

Is there any other material between the leather and the tang or how does that work?

7. Mikael W

Apr 21, 2007
    The leather sits directly to the tang, that's how stacked leatherhandles are made.

Regards
    Mikael

9.3x62 likes this.
  8. 9.3x62

9.3x62

Jun 19, 2020
    Ah, yes i know. But i found a youtube video where it looked like the leather was over a rubber like compound. However it was not a very good angle. It got me a little confused.

But good you cleard that up for me!

Are there any issues with the leather getting loose around the tang or so?

capaso likes this.
  9. Mikael W

Apr 21, 2007
    It can and sometimes do happen on stacked leatherhandles, that's what the pommelnut is for.
    You just tighten it a little bit. If necessary You also add an extra spacer.

Regards
    Mikael

jfk1110 likes this.
  10. ericlosh

ericlosh

Oct 9, 2013
    ive had two, and sold them cause i really dont have use for a fixed blade

ill probably buy another and try again because they are just outstanding and real stunners