FALLKNIVEN S1 FOREST

NAN

I WAS CONSIDERING BUYING A SI FOREST KNIFE FROM FALLKNIVN. I WAS WONDERING IF ANYBODY HAS ONE OR HAS HAD EXPERIENCE WITH ONE, HOW DID YOU LIKE IT?
THANK YOU!!!
-JOE-

I recently bought one (well, two, actually). I liked the ergonomics and the VG-10 steel. A nice, basic knife; very solid feel. Haven't had a chance to use it (other than minor hair-shaving experiments :), and I imagine it will be years before I can assess its durability. The Fred Perrin review, accessible through Fallkniven's web site, is also impressive.

I've been trying to find a source where I can purchase the S1. Where did you buy it?
Thanks.
Steve

I got mine at the Toronto Sportsmans Show. The Canada-wide, and I believe also North America-wide, dealer is also in Toronto. You could send him e-mail for a list of dealers:
laganet@mail.interlog.com
I think Knifecenter carries it, don't they?

(His name is Tom Lagan.)

James Mattis at Chai Cutlery is a person you could contact to purchase one.

http://www.chaicutlery.com/fallkniven.html

Sam.

I got a few S1's in last week. First impression - nice knife! Unlike the F1 or the A1, the S1 has a hair-splitting convex edge similar to the Spyderco-Moran, though not as highly polished. Feels good in my hand (better than the big A1 to my taste), but I haven't tried any hard use yet.

It comes with either a Cordura sheath (similar to Cold Steel's Cordura sheaths) or a very sturdily built low-ride brown leather pouch.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com

And . . . If you go to Fallkniven's page at www.fallkniven.com you'll see this, labeled "coming soon."

wm-newknapp.jpg

And now you know as much about it as I do.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com

Just a note to correct some information from FrankK about the S1 he purchased at the Toronto Sportsmen's Show.

So that I don't make a commercial out of this but just don't want anyone to waste time and get frustrated.

Frank purchased the knives from LagaNet Ltd. who is the Canadian distributor for Fallkniven knives. We can be reached at laganet@interlog.com.

Titan

Originally the F1 was made in Solingen in ATS-34 steel. A custom tempering process was developed for VG-10 with a consortium of the top Japanese heat-treating companies to develop the process by which now all the Fallkniven knives are made. The F1 has been made from VG-10 in Japan since the summer of 1998.

I picked up an F1 earlier this month (Sorry James, Got it from Peter at the IWA show).

Very nice piece.
sal

The A1, the S1, and the F1 are all made in Seki City, Japan, probably by the same outfit that makes Cold Steel's stainless fixed blades, judging from details in the finish, and the cordura sheaths for the A1 and (optionally) the S1. They show a lot of attention to detail, and the Japanese F1's are, in my humble opinion, nicer than the older German version. The folks at Fallkniven say that the VG10 steel starts out as Swedish iron.

LagaNet, by the way, is my source. They carry the whole Fallkniven line, including spare sheaths for those who want both carry options on the F1. Last time I checked with Fallkniven's USA distributor, they didn't carry the whole line.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com

Titan

Yes. All the Fallkniven knives are made with the specially treated VG-10 in Japan. This is the basis for the strength and edge-holding claims.

As James noted above, there is a new model the Wo-Man which will be available some time in June. I don't have much more information, other than that it is small and that hunters liked it a lot when it was introduced recently in Germany.

LagaNet

James - The WoMan was very nice in the hand and I'm sure it will be exceptional.

The two manufacturers mentioned are in fact working with the same excellent maker in Seki. Probably of of the best if not the best FB makers in the world.
sal

Sal - Do you recall the approximate dimensions of the WoMan? Maybe thinner stock than the F1? Any info on sheaths?

Perhaps an attempt to expand the "walking around knife" market beyond its overwhelmingly male customer base?

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com

James - It's smaller and thinner. I didn't see a sheath, but it wouild probably easily fit in a pocket sheath.
sal

For what it's worth:
You can make the S-1 completly sterile. All you have to do is remove the company stamp on the blade with some fine 600 sandpaper. There are no other stamps or markings on the blade (not even Made In ...)
If you then cut the S-1 label from the sheath only the expert will know what kind of knife that is and where it's made.

Back