1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fancy pants

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by grogimus, Feb 9, 2018.

1. grogimus

grogimus KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 27, 2012
    I've done a couple fairly large sheaths recently, thought I'd post up a bit about them .

I did a sheath for a massive, lovely Dan Keffeler Sasquatch for Mr. @TommyGun56 . The best thing about it was having a chance to have that beast in my paws. This knife made me feel like Conan.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then a pair for Carothers Performance Knives Behemoth and Light Choppers for Mr. @Benson X which I didn't take as many pics of.

I messed up and reversed the snaps on my first go around for the dangler straps.
    [​IMG]

Whoops! I was really unhappy about that screw up.
    Gypsy forgave me. And when I unscrewed my mess up they came out very nice.
    [​IMG]

My latest endeavor, a sheath for a Carothers Performance Knives Behemoth Chopper for Mr Shark01.
    Made the pattern for the sheath and drew up the design. You really don't need to be an artsy fartsy guy to do this. I'm not, I'm just stubborn.
    [​IMG]
    I dyed the leather ahead of time the way I wanted the shield to come out.

[​IMG]

Traced over the design onto the leather.
    [​IMG]
    Cut the lines.
    [​IMG]
    More cutting...
    [​IMG]
    Some background
    [​IMG]
    Stuck a lot of pics in here and my phone wants to stop, will continue in the next post.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    indawire, Cryptyc, Hengelo_77 and 2 others like this.
  2. grogimus

grogimus KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 27, 2012
    Here's the payback for the predye'ing. Is that a word? I put Resolene on the background of the cross, on the shield.
    [​IMG]

Then I spent a lot of time on the cross. I did the whole thing with a gold acrylic then highlighted parts with copper Cova color, it gave the cross a bit of a rose color on the highlights.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I coated the shield with a couple layers of Resolene to preserve the mottled brown. Then I went over the whole thing with dark brown antique and buffed it a bit.
    [​IMG]
    Time to start on the dragon.
    After a pile of testing on scrap I decided on a mix of approximately 60 parts blue, 40 copper. Blue is a strong color, the copper added a metallic sheen.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Time to see if the damn thing fits..
    [​IMG]

Cryptyc and JJ_Colt45 like this.
  3. grogimus

Apr 27, 2012
    Sewn up.
    [​IMG]
    Screwed up. It was cold as hell in the garage, I excuse myself. The stitch lines on the back aren't great.
    [​IMG]

I'll live with it. I guess if it makes me sad to ship a sheath out I did something right.

[​IMG]

4. TommyGun56

TommyGun56 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 29, 2014
    Grogimus does outstanding work and his Sheaths are immaculate! Can't recommend his work enough! Thanks again ;)Dan for the Beautiful Sasquatch Sheath

5. grogimus

Apr 27, 2012
    @TommyGun56 only says that because I pai.. oh wait! Thanks man! It was a pleasure to work with that monster!

TommyGun56 likes this.
  6. Shark01

Shark01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2015
    I agree with Tommy. Dan is an artist and his work demonstrates his creativity. Beautiful and uniquely done leather sheaths. Awesome work Dan and thank you!

grogimus likes this.
  7. ANovinc

ANovinc Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 21, 2016
    Thanks for sharing. Awesome work. I enjoyed seeing how you did the dye process on that last one.

grogimus likes this.
  8. High Standard

High Standard Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Very nice work. I really like what you did with the CPK sheath.

grogimus likes this.
  9. leatherman

leatherman leathermoderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 30, 2001
    Nice work man! Well done. I like how you do the step by step.

grogimus likes this.
  10. Dr Heelhook

Dr Heelhook

Jul 24, 2007
    Lovely.

grogimus likes this.
  11. just-a-hunter

just-a-hunter KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 5, 2015
    Way cool!

Todd

grogimus likes this.
  12. Benson X

Benson X

Mar 1, 2016
    Here's a few teaser shots of CPK Light Chopper sheath that Dan made for me, pictured with the CPK Medium Chopper prototype; there's a (larger) matching twin sheath for the CPK Behemoth Chopper that's not pictured. Dan did such an amazing job on these sheaths and was a pleasure to work with. Once I get my other choppers back, I will definitely be posting more pics and feedback about his beautiful sheaths.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. grogimus

Apr 27, 2012
    Holy smokes. Those pictures are amazing Ben!

Benson X likes this.
  14. Cryptyc

Cryptyc Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2013
    Wow those sheaths are amazing!!!!!

grogimus and Benson X like this.
  15. frequency

frequency

Dec 26, 2016
    Wow beautiful! Those sheaths are pieces of Art!

Benson X and bike4fun919 like this.
  16. Benson X

Benson X

Mar 1, 2016
    Now that I finally have my choppers back in hand, I was able to take a few more pics of both blades and their respective sheaths together. The fluorescent lighting does a horrible job showing the depth and variance in the red tones, but this is such a nice pair! I'll try to get some better pics with natural lighting soon (if the rain ever stops here in the PNW).

I have a set or Buffed Maroon Micarta scales w/ Black Liners for the Light Chopper and will be getting a matching set for the Behemoth (once those are available), then the Zombie Choppers will be "complete"! :D

Thanks again @grogimus
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jwccustom57 likes this.
  17. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Great work and great pics.

Benson X likes this.