Far out... Worker with new Delica handle... An invitation to more SKU's

Booby,

Thanks for the support I think?? ?? ?? ??

Massively popular even before it saw the drawing boards, the Worker 2000....

Please excuse my excess of enthusiasm.

MDP

Methinks the man is carried away, (or maybe will be) but by georgy he has a great idea there! The first Spyderco I ever bought was a Worker, (plain blade of course) and I still carry it some of the time. Wonderful blade shape, (that little pointy part is beautiful and handy) but it's heavy and slips some in my hand. Different handle would be great!!!
Heck, I'll chant with you anytime MDP, MPD? DMP?
Dane

Sal,

Would this be the first time a Forumite has ever single-handedly determined that spiderco shall produce a knife, specified the name, and tweaked the design? Not to mention doing so via a (not very) subliminal campaign of suggestion (W2K).

If so, does this mean Poff Daddy gets a royalty cheque?
wink.gif

Mike
wink.gif

------------------
The conclusive proof of my reasoning is the fact that I shall cut anyone who argues further into dogmeat.

-Sir Geoffrey De Tourneville

W2K! W2K! W2K!

Yesss! We wants one! We wants one for our birthday! Yessss! PRECIOUSSSSSSSS!!!!

wink.gif

(Apologies to J.R.R. Tolkein)

Actually that sounds like a terribly logical thing for Spyderco to do. I like the Worker blade, but the stainless handle, though very attractive, isn't as practical, IMHO, as something that's warmer and with more traction. Though maybe not in six colors, each with a plain and toothy option.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com

W2K

James, your endorsement goes a long way for me. Thank You.W2K

Besides my heavy-handed, bold plan to make the W2K, I think it would be easy for them to accomplish. Combining the tooling of current production to make something new. From the standpoint of Spyderco history it is a shoe-in. From the standpoint of utility it is a good design.

And if it came in only one color I could deal with it, ivory, burgundy or brown would be best, give it a classic look. Black is over done, green is overdone, but black is better than green.

Can/Does Spyderco do ivory zytel?

Worker 2000

And C. i would not want a check that would seem wrong, I benefit from there genius, why can't they benfit from my meager attempts, besides that is what the Forums are about.

Worker 2000 in ivory, brown or burgundy. Perfect. Beautiful. Elegant.

And definitely not a Rambotron Ninja Death Monger, we certainly don't need any more fo those.

------------------
Weigh in with your thoughts on the Worker 2000.
http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum20/HTML/000224.html

One may want to keep an Eye out for my review of the Bob Kasper designed, Kevin Gentile modified AFCK and interview of Bob Kasper. Sorry about the wait, my review and interview should be online shortly, look for it right here at BladeForums.com. The delay has been getting pictures, luckily Spark has graciously offered to do the pictures. Knife writer I may be, photographer I am not, yet.

Marion David Poff ska Eye, one can msg me at mdpoff@hotmail.com

"The victorious Warrior wins first and then goes to war, while the defeated Warrior goes to war and then seeks to win" Sun-Tzu

Be Excellent, an Infinite Player

Worker 2000

Zytel/reversible handle over G-10 handle.

Zytel---
-Lower price point, I am to understand G-10 actually raises the price.
-More color options
-Lighter
-Reversible clip
-No clip holes to strip
-Grippier
-Possible a cool commemorative handle design ala Native and Jess Horn ltwt
-Offers more change compared to other Worker variations
-Fits in with trend, heavy original models go to lightweight mode

Also, G-10 is over done, too many models have it, it is everywhere, IMHO.

So, Worker 2000.

Marion David Poff

Poffy writes:

"Possible a cool commemorative handle design ala Native and Jess Horn ltwt"

I can read the ads now:

Do not delay! Order your Limited Edition Poff Daddy WORKER 2000 today! Complete with a month supply of Thorazine (tm) to stop the voices, the WORKER 2000-MDP is certain to be a collectors item well worth the cost!

Listen to what people are saying about it:

"It's not often that insanity inspires such a beautiful design. We're all concerned about Mr. Poff, but I have heard that word of the success of the knife has reached him in the Happy Camper Mental Facility and he is 'feeling much better now.'"
-Sal Glesser, Spyderco

"Thank God. Now that we're making the *censored* thing, he's no longer calling the customer service line and chanting at me."
-Danelle, Spyderco

"We consider the Spyderco Worker 2000-MDP to be the finest knife ever made that is suitable for mental patients. The blade, made of extremely flexible plastic, will neither cut nor gouge, and Spyderco thoughtfully provides a cork for the pointy end. We are likely to make this the official knife of our organization."
-Dr. Howard F. Porkmeyer, Director
of the American Psychiatry Association

"The fit and finish is spectacular. the lock is excellent: I tried several times to break it, but the blade just snapped off first. The Picasso-like portrait of Poff etched into the blade is a work of art. It doesn't really look like him, but its somehow appropriate."
-Joe Talmadge, Bladeforums.com

"I bought 17. I have them all on my person. Can you guess where?"
-Dr. Walt Welch, admitted wacko.

"Mmmm.....uhhhh...jello."
-Marion David Poff (from the
Happy Camper Mental Facility)

Mike
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

And I was thinking to discontinue the Worker model. Last time I was thinking of it, some of the managers felt that we should keep the "original model" around just for sentimental value. I guess that that discontinueing the model might be a bad idea?

Marion needs a W2K with an ATS-55 handle and soft rubber blade?

A custom maker could do the trick, but the blade on the Worker is .5mm thicker than the Delica blade. The blade would have to be thinned out to fit. Offhand, I don't know if the locks would match, if not, then both the lock and blade would have to be thinned. If the Worker lock is thinned and used, then the spring might not hit the lock in the right location for the proper action. I guess the custom maker could build a new custom spring made to fit the new lock. If the pin locations are not identical then the Zytel would have to be filled and the new pin locations drilled to fit the new pins. Of couse then, the texture would not match the new pin locations, oh oh. Well we can build a injection mold for the new blade and lock with their accompanying pins.

Poffy, I think it would be cheaper to do a run with a new thinner blade cut to the existing lock, than to make one W2k for you.

Just sharing thought....sorry for the rant. I'll take a quick measurement next week.

My mother always said there was something wrong with people that were attracted to knives.

Next year, my staff is going to hold me accountable to no more than 5 new models (each year). Honest, they'll tie me up and take away my crayons.

With only 5 to choose from 20, it's difficult at best. A 2K "something" might be a nice touch but we would need to carefully consider what would be worth a "millenium" issue.
sal

Coronach, Thank you for that humour. My sides hurt. But I think you will have to admit that most of what I wrote could be used for actual marketing copy and advertisement wording...

Sal, If you even look at it that would be cool. If you have too much on the plate right now, I understand, or you don't think it would be worth the run then you know what a sound business decision is beter than I do. It just felt really good to dream about a really cool knife. But Spyderco does so much of that, making cool knives, that I woud be the last to compalain. And maybe after we Forumites get our Native and Matriarchs, someone will pony up for the minimum numberof Worker 2000's. Then us true Wackos can get a gentlemanly ivory or burgundy Worker 2000, maybe with a knife that sedate we will be able to continue fooling people about just how nuts we are....

Marion David Poff

PS. If you don't mind, I am going to leave that signpost to this thread on my sig file.

------------------
Weigh in with your thoughts on the Worker 2000.
http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum20/HTML/000224.html

One may want to keep an Eye out for my review of the Bob Kasper designed, Kevin Gentile modified AFCK and interview of Bob Kasper. Sorry about the wait, my review and interview should be online shortly, look for it right here at BladeForums.com. The delay has been getting pictures, luckily Spark has graciously offered to do the pictures. Knife writer I may be, photographer I am not, yet.

Marion David Poff ska Eye, one can msg me at mdpoff@hotmail.com

"The victorious Warrior wins first and then goes to war, while the defeated Warrior goes to war and then seeks to win" Sun-Tzu

Be Excellent, an Infinite Player

By the way.

What exactly would the conditions be to get a minimum run of those made? I am serious, and if you like you can e-mail me the details.

That way I can continue to nurse my secret desire and conspire with other like minded folk.

I imagine I could sell enough people on the idea of a gentleperson knife of historical proportions and useful parameters.

MDP

"A journey of a thousand miles begins but with a single step." Lao-Tzu

How 'bout a straw vote? Put me down for one. I REALLY like the worker blade! (plain, and yes, ivory would be really neat!)
Dane

[This message has been edited by Dana Vibberts (edited 20 March 1999).]

Marion David, please send me your Delica. I will Dremel it into a WORKER 2000 asap! As an added touch I will engrave your name on the blade. No wait a minute, thats not needed since its the only ONE.....
biggrin.gif

ps your eating too much Captain Crunch!!!!

I'll take one, for sure...as soon as the 6" blade version ships
biggrin.gif
!

Sing it with me!

o/~Me-ga-fol-der,
Me-ga-fol-der,
Me-ga-fol-der,
Me-ga-fol-der,
Me-ga-fol-der,
Me-ga-fol-der,
I want me a Me-ga-fol-der!o/~
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jim March (OK, I'll shut up and go away now...except...ME-GA-FOL-DER!
biggrin.gif
)

Crazy for Cocoa Poffs,

But a Worker 2000 would open cereal boxes rather well.....

And then when you were done with that box of cereal, you could make interesting carvings and sculptures out of that prime cardboard box, or at least that is what we did when I was at the home, a Worker 2000 would be perfect for that.

Marion David "Crazy like that" Poff

Marion - about 1200 pieces to put a thinner "Worker" blade into a Delica handle.
salg

Dear Marion,
Let Sal go back to work. He has to make the Bladeforums Native.
I don't want that to become the "Native 2000"
Check your prescriptions,
I'm sure at least one of them has gone bad
smile.gif

All in good fun
Doc

Back