Farm knife

:thumbup:

What does it weigh and how long?

it's about a foot long and weighs around a pound or a little more. Mine's bout 3/16" thick, but it's 100% solid steel, so it's going to be a beefy piece.

I would love one of these made by Purna with dui chirra and a Cho cut into it!

I haven't seen one of these posted here for years. It seems to be designed as a low-budget item, with the forging scales left on, the way the handle is done and the relatively thin blade (thin by HI standards).

You could special order one with all the features you want, if you can handle a long wait and a steeper price than the original design. Personally I don't think the design lends itself to a dui chirra, but I suppose it could be done. As for a cho, you could easily cut a cho into the standard model, using files or a scroll-type saw with metal cutting blade.

4b4ebabc-1b0c-4b76-b2db-c6c096e82c56_zpsqngejlw1.jpg

Here you are, doubters:p

I put it next to an M3 Trench Knife for scale;)

that looks a lot like a blade made by cold steel they have a bushman blade one solid piece of metal with the handle wrapped around like that love mine, gave several away as presents years ago got a bunch on clearance the sheath is kind of crap but the blades is 100 %

that looks a lot like a blade made by cold steel they have a bushman blade one solid piece of metal with the handle wrapped around like that love mine, gave several away as presents years ago got a bunch on clearance the sheath is kind of crap but the blades is 100 %

You're spot on. It's an homage to the kind of blade CS was making an homage to. I had a bushman was well. It's probably twice as heavy and holds an edge 4x as long.

Super nice "primative" knife.

that looks a lot like a blade made by cold steel they have a bushman blade one solid piece of metal with the handle wrapped around like that love mine...

This photo (from a thread by Howard Wallace) shows the HI Survival Knife on the left, and the CS Bushman on the right. The HISK looks like it's almost twice as thick at the spine.

images

OK, I admit it, I want one too. Thanks a lot you guys.................................

Amazing variety, each time I log in there's something different. Do you find those on the HI website or here?

I'm looking for a super sharp & functional knives for kitchen use. Yangdu recommend farm knife or 15AK. Asking for insights.
Where to get farm knife & how much?

I use a farmcata (relative of the farm knife) in the kitchen for chopping tasks similar to what a cleaver would do. It is good for cutting up big squash, or steaking out big salmon or halibut with a single stroke to cut. For routine kitchen work like cutting onions or carrots I usually use a smaller knife.

Here are a couple of threads on the use of the farmcata on big fish. The farmcata has an ultra-secure handle but the farm knife also has one that is quite secure.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...-knife-just-for-the-halibut?highlight=halibut

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...–-competitive-slime-testing?highlight=halibut

The second thread above also shows a 15" khukuri used in a similar manner.

To get any of these unusual blades I recommend calling Yangdu. She often has just the right blade tucked away and waiting for the perfect customer.

Amazing variety, each time I log in there's something different. Do you find those on the HI website or here?

The HI website is mostly an archive and it lists only a subset of the models that the kamis make. There is much more variety in the blades posted by Yangdu here on the forum in the DOTDs (Deal of the Day). Better to buy here. You get one or more photos of the exact blade and its length and weight, whereas the information at the HI website online store only gives generic photos and specs.

The HI website is a good place to read about many of the more common models to get an idea of what you might like, but when it comes to an actual purchase this forum is the place to go. Also, the forum discussion threads provide lots of information and preferences about the huge variety of HI offerings, including personal experience, opinions and debate.

Back