1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendation? Fast left hand OHO?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by xdoomsongx, Jul 13, 2018.

1. xdoomsongx

xdoomsongx

Mar 25, 2018
    Just wondering if there's anything in a one hand open folder that works well for us south paws, with a liner or frame lock (for left hand users) for under $100? I think it might be a tall order, but I'm open to other suggestions I have a SAK Trekker, but let's talk about slooooow. I wouldn't mind something that opens/closes more quickly, I'm not expecting to have to rely on a folder for defense, I'm just not the most patient. I know about the Buck Marksman, but there are few local places I could check it out, and the lock mechanism certainly doesn't look one handed. Thanks for any thoughts.

2. BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2016
    How about a Benchmade Griptilian? Fast and completely lefty friendly.

Earl1 and shaztec like this.
  3. mattmanyam

mattmanyam

Apr 28, 2010
    There's a lefty PM2... What more could you want?

(Missed the "under $100" part... Shouldn't be too much more, though)

4. Bucketz21

Bucketz21

Mar 3, 2013
    i'm carrying a lefty paramilitary 2 most commonly right now. the compression lock is great reversed. runs pretty consistent at 120-130 new. as mentioned, benchmades axis locks are a good 100% ambidextrous lock, you can find a couple models at 100.

shaztec and mattmanyam like this.
  5. xdoomsongx

xdoomsongx

Mar 25, 2018
    I actually have a Griptilian, and I do like it. However, I am really hankering for something with a frame or liner lock. I'd really like to get my hands on the DPX Gear Hest in the left hand. I know it's a little above budget, but when the shoe fits. I just can't seem to find it in stock any where. Thanks for the tip though.

6. xdoomsongx

xdoomsongx

Mar 25, 2018
    The paramilitary 2 in lefty does look good, and I really like spyderco, I also don't have anything with a compression lock. Another one gets added to the list of things to get...

mattmanyam likes this.
  7. mattmanyam

mattmanyam

Apr 28, 2010
    Lefty para2s seem to be running around $139ish at BHQ and GP...

8. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    The fastest one hand opening folder for lefties around 100$ is a Spyderco Waved Endura. No knife on the market opens faster than a wave knife.

If the waved endura is too big they have a waves delica aswell.

Charlie Mike and mattmanyam like this.
  9. NorthernSouthpaw

NorthernSouthpaw

Feb 27, 2014
    https://www.bladehq.com/item--DPx-HESTF-2-Triple-Black-Left--29967

Lapedog likes this.
  10. Charlie Mike

Charlie Mike Sober since 1-7-14 (still a Paranoid Nutjob) Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 1, 2000
    CS Bush Ranger

willc and Lapedog like this.
  11. Bucketz21

Bucketz21

Mar 3, 2013
    i have a lefty kizer gemini flipper frame lock. they're kinda hard to find and more like 150-175 on the secondary market. chris reeves frame locks come in left handed configurations. 375 is the lowest you'll find new. massdrop has a lefty frame lock option drop going right now. i think it's like 200 though and a....gavko lookin thing. can always get a custom somewhere. not a lot of good budget options for the frame locks....despite my best efforts to be annoying about it.

12. Bucketz21

Bucketz21

Mar 3, 2013
    righty liner lock with clip on the left is how i ordered my first custom recently. they're so easy to operate. that's your best bet to stay cheap other than benchmade or spyderco, a righty liner lock with reversible clip holes drilled

13. Bucketz21

Bucketz21

Mar 3, 2013

me uhhh using? :rolleyes: a righty liner lock with a lefty clip

14. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    Lockbacks are universally lefty friendly, so If you can't find something with a frame or linerlock thats a good way to go.

15. NorthernSouthpaw

NorthernSouthpaw

Feb 27, 2014
    Also Emerson makes a lefty version of the CQC-7 and Commander. I think only available through the Emerson webstore when in stock. Although neither is in the $100 range.
    Kizer is re-releasing the lefty Gemini in a few weeks. At around $170 (price on the original release last year) It's the only production frame/linerlock I can think of that comes in under $200.

16. Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    I tend to carry my folders in my left pocket but with the clip on the side that would normally be used by a righty. This means on a tip up knife the spine is against the seam of my pocket closer to my zipper rather than the outside seam closer to the hip.

Also I have never had any trouble operating any “righty” frame or liner lock with my left hand.

17. Bucketz21

Bucketz21

Mar 3, 2013
    i can pull a heavy frame lock with my thumb, i almost exclusively push underneath with my index and find a heavy bar +ball difficult to push past the tang consistently. that's just why i avoid RH frame locks. that and the often neglected lock (show) side appearance i guess. They're certainly operable though

18. Bucketz21

Bucketz21

Mar 3, 2013
    i like that carry idea too, thanks. might try that with a RH only clip

19. Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    See here I am carrying my right hand tip up only Inkosi in my left pocket.

[​IMG]

Bucketz21 likes this.
  20. NorthernSouthpaw

NorthernSouthpaw

Feb 27, 2014
    For me, it's not about having the ability to use a righty lock with my left hand. I can with ease.
    It's always been more about comfort. It just doesn't feel right to me.
    Also, if I have to fork over hundreds of dollars I don't want to feel like I was an afterthought to the manufacturer. That is why I primarily buy custom now. I figure for the cost of 3 or 4 ZT's, or Spydies, I can have a high quality knife made specifically for me.
    I still keep an eye out for the lefty productions. You better believe I will be one of the first to buy the Kizer LH Gemini re-release when it drops. It's just really slim pickins'.