Father's Military Replica (Pala's Army Knife) Review

Length: 16 3/4"
Weight: 22oz

It's not really called Pala's Army Knife but that is what I keep calling it. Seems like there is not a lot of info on this knife yet. I'd been dying to get my hands on one. Luckily, destiny (and a triangle box) brought me one.

Picture of the knife in the hand helps to get a good idea of the size.

Wind has been bad this summer and I needed to cut another branch.

My neighbors always give strange looks when I climb up trees with a knife.

This branch must have been breaking for a while and had become very dry and hard.

Here is the knife and branch for size comparison

3 or 4 chops dropped the branch.

Here a photo to show the depth of one cut. Almost all the way through. I was surprised it didn't cut all the way through and at first I thought maybe it was a problem with the sharpness or knife design. Later I realized it was the incredibly hard and dry wood.

I went over and cut some green wood and it cut with great ease. Then I came back to the hard wood and was actually very impressed realizing how well it cut VERY hard wood.

I decided to chop a bigger piece.

I must be honest, I hit this blade very hard several times at bad angles. I was sure that the edge would be damaged.

But it was not damaged at all. This is a super strong and resilient blade.

And very sharp. Sharp enough to easily slice a melon even after cutting some hard wood.

My wife is almost never interested in my knives. I will ask her to see the new models, or ask her if she notices anything different about me when I have a huge khuk on my belt. She usually just rolls her eyes.
However, to my surprise, she said this one was unique and she really liked the looks of it. I have some other very extravagant ones that she never pays attention to, but for some reason this one, which I thought looked very simple, really appealed to her. I guess simplicity is a beautiful thing.

I'm a big fan of the sheath. I love the brown leather look. There are no pockets for Chakma and Karda. That makes for a very slim sheath which is something to be appreciated.

Aside from my Foxy Folly, this knife is the only khukuri I have that makes a ringing noise when you flick the blade. I'm not sure if that is because of the blade shape, or the hardness, but I like it. It literally sings. I had my brother check the edge hardness with his Rockwell Hardness files. It is at least 65 hardness on the chopping edge and gets softer toward the handle.

Picture of the tang and the spine thickness.

Here is the handle my wife found so pretty. It is nice to look at.

My impression of Pala's knife:
It is very different than what I am used to. I have grown accustomed to hidden tang khukuris. The weight in the handle from the chirruwa style tang was different for me. I have had a couple CAKs but they ended up in the hands of friends and relatives. The only big knife I have with the Chirruwa style handle is my AK bowie but it has a monster blade and a skinny handle so the weight is still very far forward. When cutting the small branches I struggled at first. After a short while using this knife it seemed to whisper to me "I am a weapon." At that point I started treating it as a martial arts blade like a katana. I slowed down, envisioned the cut, swung with follow-thru, and gave a flick of the wrist. The limbs began to bow before it. This knife is a good worker and an even better teacher. I feel like after 30 minutes with this knife I was better than I was before. Good knife. Hard worker. Swift weapon. Wise teacher.

I am new to this model and this is just my first impression. I would love to hear what other people think of theirs.

Last edited:
Length: 16 3/4"
Weight: 20oz

It's not really called Pala's Army Knife but that is what I keep calling it. Seems like there was not a lot of info on this knife and I'd been dying to get my hands on one. Luckily for me, destiny (and a triangle box) brought one to me.

Wind has been bad this summer and I needed to cut another branch.

My neighbors always give strange looks when I climb up trees with a knife.

This branch must have been breaking for a while and had become very dry and hard.

Here is the knife and branch for size comparison

3 or 4 chops dropped the branch.

Here a photo to show the depth of one cut. Almost all the way through. I was surprised it didn't cut all the way through and at first I thought maybe it was a problem with the sharpness or knife design. Later I realized it was the incredibly hard and dry wood.

I went over and cut some green wood and it cut with great ease. Then I came back to the hard wood and was actually very impressed realizing how well it cut VERY hard wood.

I decided to chop a bigger piece.

I must be honest, I hit this blade very hard several times at bad angles. I was sure that the edge would be damaged.

But it was not damaged at all. This is a super strong and resilient blade.

And very sharp. Sharp enough to easily slice a melon even after cutting some hard wood.

My wife is almost never interested in my knives. I will ask her to see the new models, or ask her if she notices anything different about me when I have a huge khuk on my belt. She usually just rolls her eyes.
However, to my surprise, she said this one was unique and she really liked the looks of it. I have some other very extravagant ones that she never pays attention to, but for some reason this one, which I thought looked very simple, really appealed to her. I guess simplicity is a beautiful thing.

I'm a big fan of the sheath. I love the brown leather look. There are no pockets for Chakma and Karda. That makes for a very slim sheath which is something to be appreciated.

Aside from my Foxy Folly this knife is the only khukuri I have that makes a ringing noise when you flick the blade. I'm not sure if that is because of the blade shape or the hardness but I like it. It literally sings. I had my brother check the edge hardness with his Rockwell Hardness files. It is at least 65 hardness on the chopping edge and gets softer toward the handle.

Picture of the tang and the spine thickness.

Here is the handle my wife found so pretty. It is nice to look at.

Picture of the knife in the hand so you can visualize the size a little better.

My impression of Pala's knife:
It is very different than what I am used to. I have grown accustomed to hidden tang khukuris. The weight in the handle from the chirruwa style tang was different for me. I have had a couple CAKs but they ended up in the hands of friends and relatives. The only big knife I have with the Chirruwa style handle is my AK bowie but it has a monster blade and a skinny handle so the weight is still very far forward. When cutting the small branches I struggled at first. At one point the knife seemed to speak to me the words "I am a weapon." At that point I started treating it like a martial arts blade like a katana. I slowed down, envisioned the cut, swung with follow-thru and a flick of the wrist. The limbs began to bow before it. This knife is a good worker and an even better teacher. I feel like after 30 minutes with this knife I was better than I was before. Good knife. Hard worker. Swift swinging weapon. Wise teacher.

I am new to this model and this is just my first impression. I would love to hear what other people think of theirs.
Great review Eric. Thanks for sharing!

Eric,
I just sent an email to Mrs. Martino, to buy this latest of her wares. I've other Himalayan Imports from years past, but she recommended this, for my EDC, as my other khukuris are larger and heavier. It looks like a great choice, and I owe her a continuing round of THANKS! for each suggestion she's made over the years. Like her, Himalayan Imports are the very best, and her traditional knives are superb. I am very comfortable with the Himalayan Imports khukuris. To me, they're not only in a "different class," but their beauty and history is descriptive of "functional art." If I have to choose but two blades for survival, it is a khukuri from Himalayan Imports, and an Ethan Becker. These, to me, are the epitome of knife design...

Well Done on the review, Eric! Glad I've now ordered one! Likewise, to the wonderful Mrs. Martino, Thank-You Again, Ma'am!

Carter, exRonin1949

Last edited:
well damn.... now I'm gonna have to add one to the " hit list " .....

thanks a lot dude.....

LOL no seriously, great review... I wish they all got shown with spine pics.... it helps really get an idea of how that XXXoz of weight is dispersed along the blade, and thus how it will react in the hand.....

I had asked Mrs. Martino for her best khukuri for EDC, and she has certainly delivered.

The blade is matte finished, not shiny. No bright and shiny chape. Slim, soft brown leather sheath/scabbard, with no clutter of a karda or chakmak. Chiruwa, full tang knife blade for superb strength and reliability. All in all, the perfect khukuri for the man about town, or in the quiet of his studio home.

Thank-You, Mrs. Martino, for, again as in the past, meeting my fixed blade needs...

Sincerely Yours, Your Fan since 2005,

Carter, exRonin1949

Received my Father's Replica Military Knife on Thursday! WOW!!! Mrs. Martino hit another Grand Slam Homerun with this one! I'll not bother trying to match EricTheRedBeard's superb photography. It's all he stated, and more... Wonderful blade, incredible quality/price/service!!! Wore it out on the town on Friday, very nice. Quality of scabbard/sheath is great! Although the blade is bit too heavy for me, EDC-wise, I'll definitely have it in my shot locker. As for now, it comfortably resides in my walker, ready for instant use.

Thank-You, again as always, Mrs. Martino!

Fine example of a review. I'll try to get better with my beginner attempts. I love the juxtaposition of the outdoor working blade and the kitchen work blade. Superb.

xx

Way cool blade. Have wanted one for alooooong time! Happy to see it available.

Back