Fatwood, grinders, nice new handle, and a Flint Edge Connie

A project from last week, that I'm planning to use this week.
I got this pretty nice Flint Edge and it's just been waiting........
s6hk9oR.jpg

Council tools handle, and a pretty good one.Not going to need any thinning down to be nice, just hang and go!
SqJ9pxR.jpg

lTy5r9L.jpg

pQspbDv.jpg

Also, a well done tongue, deep, even and the right size. Why can't handle companies at least do this well regularly.
Yu8GPfP.jpg

With no work, a decent fit to this depth. I want to get this to 34", so it's going to take a bit more effort, but not hard to do.
Now consider how easy it could be to rehang on this handle. If I broke it at work, I'd be up and running again in 15 min. Getting the old one out would be the hardest part.
Thats how it was supposed to be, used to be, and why handles are considered disposable. But the amount of work needed to get most of them nice these days often makes it less so.
KDFnejR.jpg

Here's what I'm looking for.

A6k248j.jpg

wdfdrJB.jpg

j6XMsJh.jpg

q23KJBU.jpg

This super easy wedge is going to be handy too......
YYsQ0tz.jpg

Naa, can't do it. I'll just whip out a fatwood wedge instead.
hu7A6g6.jpg

EZAeOHe.jpg

pO2AOd8.jpg

YPwOj7w.jpg

3UKlRVz.jpg

4Ys3mf7.jpg

uj61gj2.jpg

8gR2dar.jpg

Igk9r6g.jpg

Well there's still some work to do, but its hung :)

Continued

Last edited:
lf2KGG7.jpg

tF5FI2E.jpg

Now this edge needs some work. The bevel is too thick, and uneven, as well as the toe needs brought back in line somewhat. I'll compromise that slightly to save some life on her, but make it more useable again.
OUzSz9o.jpg

aD1uwzv.jpg

pNGUB52.jpg

See the wire edge? Not even that's discolored. Belt grinder in the right hands ;)
70SuMRt.jpg

CWcFucq.jpg

N1IGcQr.jpg

Knock that wire edge off with a fine stone and it's ready to work. I'll not use the grinder again unless damaged, just a few minutes with a stone, or file and stone will do fromnow on, with less material lost.

A little cosmetics and shes good to go!
Cold gun blue, and walnut danish oil. Pretty simple.
TFDPRuw.jpg

t7r6zCL.jpg

CZcxVIw.jpg

Last edited:
lf2KGG7.jpg

tF5FI2E.jpg

Now this edge needs some work. The bevel istoo thick, and uneven, as well as the toe needs brought back in line somewhat. I'll compromise that slightly to save some life onher, but make it more useable again.
OUzSz9o.jpg

aD1uwzv.jpg

pNGUB52.jpg

See the wire edge? Not even that's discolored. Belt grinder in the right hands ;)
70SuMRt.jpg

CWcFucq.jpg

N1IGcQr.jpg

Knock that wire edge off with a fine stone and it's ready to work. I'll not use the grinder again unless damaged, just a few minutes with a stone, or file and stone will do fromnow on, with less material lost.

A little cosmetics and shes good to go!
Cold gun blue, and walnut danish oil. Prettysimple.
TFDPRuw.jpg

t7r6zCL.jpg

CZcxVIw.jpg
TFDPRuw.jpg

Nice work Muleman! It looks like it's grinning and/or hungry.

I have seen people use fatwood as wedges but never done it. I do have some wrapped up in a plastic bag here that I use with my kindling to start fires when it's "damp".

Back